Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Mtb Cccx #2

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Mtb Cccx #2

I got another chance to go out and shoot a MTB race. It possibly will be my last race until the Sea Otter Classic in the middle/end of April.

1. Beginner Men's think about the race at hand

2. Men's Expert class take off the line at the start of their race

3. Jr. Mens division racers as the come down some singletrack as they head towards the finish line on their second lap

4. A Men's class racer comes through the newly made singletrack on his second lap

5. A racer heads up one of the climbs on his fourth of five laps.

6. A setup I'm going to try working on at my next race.

7. Men's Expert class racer (and course designer!) charges up the first hill on his last lap

8. Catching a quick feed break at the top of the hill

9. The VO5 team leads the charge up the climb on their last lap

10. Who says cycling isn't a contact sport? Two racers have a good time as they come up to the finish line

11. Men's expert class winner crosses the line with his arms up in celebration

Entire gallery can be found here
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Re: Mtb Cccx #2

Nice pictures. I like the action and the composition. #10 is my fav. I think it shows the sportsmanship and the camaraderie of the sport.

Some of the blacks look faded though. It may be my monitor though... But I like em....

What was your setup???

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

I really like the take off number 2, but I think that you could have opted with a bit faster shutter speed I don't know what you used for it, but bumped it to be just a tad faster to give it just a tad more detail to the racers and I think it would be out of the world (but what do I know ;) ) Number 4 is my favorite, his look and the lighting really make this shot pop out.

Nice job as usual.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

A couple of the blacks such as 9 or 10 are a little faded since I was forced to shoot into the sun for those photos. It was getting foggy, which was helping, but I could tell a difference in the contrast department with those images.

Main setup was the cameras setup the same way they are in my sig, and I'd either have my SB-800 on either camera, or a SB-26 flash on a stand triggered by pocketwizards.

#2 was sortof a last minute idea that I had on the last group of racers that went by. I definitely plan on trying it again and since there is a few different groups that start, I'll have a chance to vary my exposures.

I was going with a slightly slower shutter speed to get a sense of movement from the racers.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

The one - The only

Scott I like #2! :thumbsup: Reminds me of watching the experts take off at the Otter. Experts = FAST FAST FAST and the slow shutter reflects that movement/speed.

Nice shots all around. It's hard to shoot captivating XC out there, but you did very well.
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Good lord ! it looks soo warm there !! we were Riding on Frozen , but snow free, ground this past weekend

On #5 I like how he is using Bar ends, you don't hear and see much of that any More (I still run them on my hard tail ) and you really caught him with a great facial expression

I always think that the course designer shouldn't be allowed to race. I mean they have an Unfair advantage.

What size tires are those ? they are so thin ? what are they 1.7's ? also why is he wearing shoe covers ?

out of curiosity how long was the course and what were some of the times ?

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    7. Men's Expert class racer (and course designer!) charges up the first hill on his last lap

Thread Information