Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Mono pod

Mono pod

Thinking about a mono pod for shooting motocross. I currently have a Slik tripod which has quick release. If possible I would like to get something that also has the same type of release. Looking to spend under $200 complete. Right now i'm using a D90 with a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, but may upgrade to a D300 in the future. I only mention that because I see that alot of the spec's on the monopods give a max supporting weight. Any suggestions?

Re: Mono pod

My suggestion is you don't need a monopod or a tripod for shooting MX with a 70-200. Does Slik offer up a Monopod?

Chris Anderson-Photography fidgety's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog
    My suggestion is you don't need a monopod or a tripod for shooting MX with a 70-200. Does Slik offer up a Monopod?
    I agree. A monopod is not really necessary with a 70-200. Are you shooting in daylight? If so, you should be able to get a high enough shutter speed to avoid camera shake. Plus, read up on techniques for holding your gear so you can keep it steady while shooting.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

NSSA/AIPS

I'll weigh in third on dropping the support. They just get in the way, and create awkward situations when it becomes necessary to move quickly
    It's not about the camera....

Honestly the only reason I was considering it was to help hold the weight of the camera and lens when I was just standing around. I guess i'm being a little too lazy, lol. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Quadracer041
    Honestly the only reason I was considering it was to help hold the weight of the camera and lens when I was just standing around. I guess i'm being a little too lazy, lol. Thanks guys
    If you're using a 300 2.8 or 400 2.8, or are lucky enough to have bigger glass, you really don't really need a monopod and handholding the 300 really isn't bad for too long. A monopod for a 70-200 is just going to be a pain and get in your way and limit your ability to move your camera around quickly to get the shots you need. Again, read up on techniques to hold your camera and lens to prevent fatigue and to keep it steady while shooting. A lot of photographers have their own way to do it and you can pick up a few ideas, try them out and see what works for you.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

Most of the time you don't need a monopod for a 70-200. BUT try shooting a marathon holding the lens (with NO breaks) for 6 hours and see how your arms feel. My arm was giving out with a 17-55 2.8.

Quote Originally Posted by cozmocha
    Most of the time you don't need a monopod for a 70-200. BUT try shooting a marathon holding the lens (with NO breaks) for 6 hours and see how your arms feel. My arm was giving out with a 17-55 2.8.
    That can be fairly standard practice for sports photographers and that is why I mentioned that he look into way to hold his camera for image stability and so the weight isn't a factor. I can shoot for four to six or even more hours if doing soccer, baseball, etc. tournaments and several shooters do it several times a week, sometimes day after day. In addition to holding a heavy Canon 1D Mark IIN and lens I'll have another camera and lens over my shoulder and a waist belt and pouches filled with extra batteries, an additional lens or two as well as other odds and ends so all of the gear gets pretty heavy. It's just part of the gig and you have to prepare for it. It's not easy sometimes but it's a privilege to do so.
    Chris Anderson
    Sportsshooter.com Member
    Southcreek Global Media
    MaxPreps

Quote Originally Posted by Quadracer041
    Being a rookie, I got one for pretty much that reason (with a Nikkor 70-200 2.8)... but also partly for trying to stabalize my shots in poorly lit gyms. I obviously have a lot to learn.

I got the Manfrotto 679B at a local shop. I am 6'3", and it is just a hair too short fully extended, but it was the tallest one I found looking around.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-679B...9433107&sr=1-1

Thread Information