Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Cool MLS: Houston Dynamo

I'll be covering a few Houston Dynamo games this year... here are a few photos from the first MLS game I've ever shot.

As with most sports you have to have a 300mm or larger lens to really be effective. The other thing is you should have a camera with a high FPS rate, preferably more than 3 (5D Mark II)... LOL! I don't have that kind of equipment, but I do my best with what I have.

Houston Dynamo vs FC Dallas - 05.28.11 - 5DII_8401A

5DII_8413AHouston Dynamo vs FC Dallas - 05.28.11 -

Houston Dynamo vs FC Dallas - 05.28.11 - 5DII_8489A

--

More photos from this game on my blog

Re: MLS: Houston Dynamo

Nice first shoot of MLS. Your right in that a 300mm at least is a must for most outdoor sports and even some indoor. I'm shooting a full frame and with a 300 mm I'd be lost in the world of big crops. I just ordered a Nikkor 300mm f2.8 to replace the f4 I've been using for the past few years and can't wait for it to arrive. I do use a 1.5 converter with the old lens especially for baseball so I'm hoping with the f2.8 I'll get a lot more use out of the 300mm under lower light conditions. I will shoot mostly football and baseball with it but I'm sure I'll get in a little soccer and even some track with this new lens.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

The only 300mm that I have is an f/4.5-5.6 75-300mm and it's not really that great for nighttime games. I am considering a teleconverter for my f/2.8 70-200mm and while I would eventually like to own a decent 300mm I just don't see it anywhere in my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by groovehouse View Post
    The only 300mm that I have is an f/4.5-5.6 75-300mm and it's not really that great for nighttime games. I am considering a teleconverter for my f/2.8 70-200mm and while I would eventually like to own a decent 300mm I just don't see it anywhere in my budget.
    Good glass is well worth the investment. That said don't discount the value of used good glass. You don't always have to have the latest model. An older 300mm f4 used from KEH was what I went with and was very satisfied with the results. It was still Nikon glass and good quailty and I bought from a company with a very good reputation.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information