Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Lens for Sony Alpha 100 (Gymnastics)

I am new to photography. I have looked over a number of the useful threads and have been trying to shoot gymnastics (poor lighting, action photos, no flash). Most of my images come out dark or with blurred feet. I usually bump up the ISO to 800 or 1600 and shoot shutter mode. From what I read here, it sounds as if I need a different lens, perhaps 80-200 f-2.8, or something of that nature. Any recommendations, how do I know what will be compatible with my camera body and also the Sony alpha 100 that has image stabilization in its camera body. I don't want to buy something too expensive but would like to shoot better photos.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Lens for Sony Alpha 100 (Gymnastics)

I don't know what the crop factor is on the Sony, but you're in the right range for the lens.
    Definitely, since gymnastics is indoors the lower the f/number the better.

Image stabilisation only helps with stationary subjects, if you have to pan with the movement then it can't help you much during the pan.
    Also image stabilisation only works on things that aren't moving. Like the bars, the beam, or the horse - you will find moving gymnasts can still be blurred.

But your lenses should be cheaper than the Canon 70-200 IS on the Nikon 80-200 VR because the stabilisation is in the body.

I'm a Canon user, so I can't recommend a Sony lens from experience.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks for the reply. I probably should post this to the Sony forum for specifics. Yeah, I hope the stabilization gets me a less expensive purchase, the new 70-200 f2.8 lens that Sony is offering is pretty expensive for my taste ($1900). I am reasonably certain that I can't get enough light through my current 75-300 f4.5 lens to allow me to run at a fast enough shutter speed to eliminate the motion blur. I generally can't bump my shutter speed faster than 1/200 in the gyms due to poor lighting. One of these days I'll have the right equipment and get good pictures, I hope. What does one need to know in order to determine if the lens they are looking at will work for your particular camera? Is it sufficient to just know that it fits and "A mount"?

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Getting the A mount should be enough though I'd check with the Sony experts.
    It's such a new system that I don't think there will be problems with old lenses that won't autofocus, or manual aperture control like with other older camera systems.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

GStep,
    I shoot gymnastics alot. You will DEFINITELY need a 2.8 or faster. Depending on what level you are shooting you will need faster than 1/200 or 1/250 shutter speeds for non blurry feet and hands. Unless you shoot only the "poses" like on the floor.

A friend of mine has a Sony and she LOVES it. I think she is using a Sigma lens. I can check with her and let you know. I am a Canon shooter myself but a 2.8 is a must.

Also I have found that ISO is normally around 1000 to 1600. I have only been to Indianapolis and Chicago that had better than dismal lighting.

I hope this helps and I will post later with what my friend uses for her lens.

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Phil, did you by chance come to Indy for Circle of Stars? My gym puts that one on. I just worked 40 hours in three days. That pretty much covers the competitive fees for a year. The lighting isn't so bad in the convention center. I am kind of tired of shooting the poses, recently bought the SLR and trying to get some good action. I think one could get hooked on this hobby! I think I should go for the Sigma, just can't quite justify the Zeiss yet. I did see an old Minolta A mount 2.8 lens.
    What I don't understand is what are the requirements of the lens mount. If it has an A mount does that mean it will be fine for my camera?
    Last edited by GStep; 02-27-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Yes I was there. Did you by chance go to Battle Creek the week before??

The lighting was great for what I normally have to shoot in.

I think we may have spoken before..???....

Phil
    www.ODMP.org

I bet we have met- yes, I was there. I was handing out shirts in Indy. Would you happen to be the person who recommended Photoshop essentials? If so thanks for the tip. Now I am looking into lenses. I have seen that for my Sony Alpha, Sony is releasing their $1900 70-200 f2.8 lens, salty. I have also seen that Sigma has one that fits at a much better price. Those for the most part are on back order. I would like to get one by the State meet. Tamron I have also just found on DYXUM.com is releasing one for the Sony alpha at a little under the Sigma lens. I do not know the "quality" pecking order of these lenses. From what I am seeing everywhere the 70-200 f2.8 is pretty much an essential in this sport. Like I say, I am a newbie, but I think I have just found an expensive hobby-as though being a gymnastics dad was not expensive enough.

GS..

I was the one you talked to at Battle creek then in Indy at the shirt table. My suggestion is to get the Sigma. I have a Tamron 24-75 2.8 and I like it, but for the 70-200 I would go with the Sigma.

Some out there would have a different idea... I would just check out the reviews on the lenses and go with what YOU think is best. They may have a review here, but if not, do a search for it. One will turn up... Also post a review here for the lens you do get.

Let me know if you are going to any meets in Michigan again. We have a few left, maybe I will see you there....

Post some of your pics....

Phil
    www.ODMP.org

Small world, surprising that you and I have kept bumping into each other. Mens Gymnastics is a fairly small sport . I did a search for gymnastics photography, our moderator's site came up. In yet still a smaller world, his address suggests that he lives in a town that is only 5 minutes form my house!

I will be heading up to "Michiana" for the state meet and subsequently with my older son to the nationals to be held again in battle creek. Hopefully I will be more experienced and well equipped by then. I really hoped to have a meet between now and State, but it looks like we are going a long time between competitions. Where are you going next? Some of the parents were talking about finding another meet to squeeze in but I doubt we will.

I am also going out to the olympic trials this summer. The lighting should be pretty good there. I don't know if they have camera restrictions beyond flash photography, hopefully not. What level are your boy(s)?

Greg

We have a meet in Kalamazoo MI then states. That will be all for us as we don't go to regionals. I am going to try to get to nationals in Battle Creek to watch ....

Where are the olympic trials?
    www.ODMP.org

Hope I will see you there, with a lens by then. The only draw back I see to the new Sony is the lens availability. All of the Sigma's are back ordered and the Tamrons about to launch.

Howdy,

Nice to see that there are others who use Sony as well (but I am starting to doubt my choice some times)

I too am waiting for the Sigma to be released. The 70-200 HSM is exactly what the doctored ordered & less then half the price as the G. You must let us know how you go when you get one!

I am back ordered on the Tamron. It looks as if Tamron and Sigma have not delivered their 70-200 f 2.8's for the Sony. I like the camera so far, but not happy about the lack of lens availability. Just can't bring myself to throw down $1900 for the better optics. The state is approaching next week and then only a few more weeks to regionals. I hope it comes in soon.

GStep,

Hello neighbor I'm right around the corner from you near McCordsville, well, more like MVHS which is up the street from me.

I read the thread, gymnastics is tough to shoot, you really need an f1.8 lens, and fast AF or shoot manual focus. I shoot New Pals gymnastics for the Greenfield paper and even with a fast camera and f1.8 lenses your licky to get 1 in 5 without motion blur at NP's home gym (the elementary school gym). Connersville isn't too bad, the floor bites though.

BTW, Welcome to the forum

Well time to get the gear cleaned up for todays work, have to go to Fortville for the Easter Egg Hunt, then off to McCordsville UMC for their Easter Egg Hunt and after that a double header baseball game at Eastern Hancock
    Below are a couple from this years gymnastics, one at NPE and the other at Connersville.

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lens for Sony Alpha 100 (Gymnastics)-js083254.jpg   Lens for Sony Alpha 100 (Gymnastics)-js087178.jpg  
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information