Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Lady Roadrunners notch win in last home BB game

On Wednesday the local Butte College womens basketball team faced Lassen College in their last home game of the season. It was a close contest all the way with the score tied 76-76 with only 26 seconds left to play. At that point Butte was able to break the tie with two free throws and go on to a 79-76 victory.

With the exception of photo #4 all shots were with D700 + 24-85 f/2.8-4 at 1/500, f/4, and ISO 8,000. Photo #4 was with D700 + 50 mm. f/1.8 at 1/500, f/2.8, and ISO 3200.

Comments are welcome.

Bob

As usual, player #20 shown in the first and last photos was the star of the show with seven 3-pointers and a total of 29 points. She’s not very tall physically, but in terms of drive, speed, ball handling, and scoring ability she’s at least 7 feet tall! She usually has her tongue sticking out of the right side of her mouth as she charges in to score.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lady Roadrunners notch win in last home BB game-7rb_3851_2.jpg   Lady Roadrunners notch win in last home BB game-7rb_3790_2.jpg   Lady Roadrunners notch win in last home BB game-7rb_3799_2.jpg   Lady Roadrunners notch win in last home BB game-7rb_3739_2.jpg   Lady Roadrunners notch win in last home BB game-7rb_3835_2.jpg  

Photo Moron PM

Re: Lady Roadrunners notch win in last home BB game

nice
    8000 iso?
    daymn
    "I'm just an ATM machine"

Thanks. ISO 8,000 is correct. I prefer not to go above ISO 6,400, but that isn't always possible. There have been times when I have used ISO settings as high as 12,800 and still gotten decent results. That's why I love my D700!

Bob

Photo Moron PM

nice
    8000 iso?
    daymn
    "I'm just an ATM machine"

I would not give the D700 all the credit here. IMHO your processing is the deciding factor. Nice work.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Larry,

Thanks for the kind words, but if I still had to rely on my D200 for shots like these I never would have been able to pull it off.

Bob

I agree the D200 was a great camera but would not achieve the results you have gotten at high ISO settings.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Larry,

I still use my D200 now and then for certain daylight sports and other situations where the crop factor + 70-300 zoom provides needed reach, but the D700 is the go-to camera for everything else.

Bob

Thread Information