Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

The Kicking GAme

The kicking game is still very important at every level of football. So often at the high school and lower levels it is neglected. Here are a couple of shot of the kicking game from the last couple of weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Kicking GAme-dsc_8784-2-640.jpg   The Kicking GAme-dsc_9072-2-640.jpg   The Kicking GAme-dsc_5468-2-640.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: The Kicking GAme

Photographers don't ignore kickers, but papers do unless you have a really special kicker on your team that sets team, league and state records. Most high schools don't think kicking is that important, which can lead to losing close games. One of those special kickers is this one, formerly at my old high school, he's now in his second year at Notre Dame
    http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/...rt_ryan00.html
    Somewhere I have photos of Ryan....probably hiding on another drive.
    This past Saturday, this guy kicked a 44yard field goal, his second career at 40+, he also plays soccer through the week and is one of the teams best soccer players, but very few schools allow students to play more than one sport at a time. Since all he does is kick in football they let him do it.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

MCHSS.net

Re: The Kicking Game

Here are a few I took of a scrimmage yesterday. I am a complete noob and I am using a rebel xti. Your opinion/comments would be helpful.

Name:  IMG_3265.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  202.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3341.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  239.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3267.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  189.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3268.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  165.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3339.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  170.7 KB

Welcome VinnyC01,

Well the thing that jumps right out at me is no faces, more to the side instead of behind. This angle works if your trying to get someone possibly blocking a kick, but not when the kicker is the subject. The one thing these may help with though is for the kicking coach to critique the kicker and holder.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I used to hold for the place-kicker in HS and College (University at Albany was years away from Div I status in the early 70's). My first thought, what happened to the holders hands???? Kidding! We certainly didn't have gloves back then. I like your capture in #2. Though I can't make out the holder's face, you can sense his focus in this shot. I like this shot the best (and before I say more, I still don't feel qualified to make comment on others' submissions). That said, I feel it important to keep involved and reply when able.
    Vinny, what gear are you shooting? Keep at it and salut to your first posting! This is a friendly place and you'll find the folk here more than accessible.
    Bob G

Canon 40D
    Canon 20D
    Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L IS

Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS
    Canon EF 85 f1.8
    Canon EF 1.4x II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX
    Manfrotto 679B

MCHSS.net

Thanks. I was not trying to high jack the thread

I can see what you mean from OT's pic #2. The faces (and experssions) there really make the photo.

AGAIN THANKS!!

OT -
    As a learner here, I love your first shot! No doubt you were battling sun to some extent, but I have to believe the parents of the kicker and holder would love this one in a 20x24.You got your game on, sir!

Canon 40D
    Canon 20D
    Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L IS

Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS
    Canon EF 85 f1.8
    Canon EF 1.4x II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX
    Manfrotto 679B

MCHSS.net

Quote Originally Posted by rgusberti
    Vinny, what gear are you shooting?
    Bob G
    By gear do mean my Xti with a 75-300 basic lens that came in the purchase?
    thanks.

Yeah, and sorry I missed that you already mentioned the XTI. I was curious about what lenses you were using, and I didn't see that. As redundant as a signature could be, I recently listed my gear in my signature. I think eveyone on this forum likes to "admire" everyone else's gear...I know I do.

Canon 40D
    Canon 20D
    Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L IS

Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS
    Canon EF 85 f1.8
    Canon EF 1.4x II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX
    Manfrotto 679B

Quote Originally Posted by rgusberti
    OT -
    As a learner here, I love your first shot! No doubt you were battling sun to some extent, but I have to believe the parents of the kicker and holder would love this one in a 20x24.You got your game on, sir!

Yes the sun was brutal the first part of this game but as you can see by later in the game the sun went behind the clouds and the ISO went up and Shutter Speed went down. thanks for taking a look and commenting. I think many time we ignore the kicking game as John pointed out. It a good time to move your position or take a one play break. However many very dramatic and sometimes game turning plays happen on the kicks.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information