Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

JV Football Week #6

Don't know if you are getting tired of Mike's pictures but I thought I would throw in another week with the changes that he made from suggestions from you guys on this site.

I helped him to change the camera (Canon 20D) to creative mode and brought the ISO up to 1600 and put the camera in apeture priority. I told him that if he started to get blurry pictures to put the camera in action mode and don't worry about it, but I think he did pretty well. I also changed the camera AF to center weighted to see if that would help with some of the focusing.

Again - the varsity pictures aren't that good... there are a couple of good ones but thats it. The Tamron 100-300 just can't keep up.

I got the nod for a new lens I did call Tamron to get information about sending the lens in for service. I won't do it until I am comfortable with the new lens.

I spent the money on a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Autofocus Lens & a Tiffen 77mm UV Protector Glass Filter. I was hoping to have it for Fridays game but with B&H's holiday schedule, the shipping got messed up. I should have it tomorrow so that will give Mike some time to test it out and get a feel for it.

I am kind of feeling left out... I bought the camera so I could start taking good sports photos of the boys... but I don't get to use it that much... I am glad that my son is though. He is having a blast being down on the side lines and the AD is now asking him to take soccer pics. He wanted him to take basketball pics but since he plays, he can't do that... I will let his brother try, if he does well, I will let him have the next go round.

I will get to use the equipment during baseball!! They both play that so I will get to take pictures

Anyway... enough of the drabble... here are the pics.

#1 - Nice action shot of a tackle (even though its against us)
    #2 - Interception... two of their players are ready... the third set of feet you see on the ground is our guy
    #3 - Our quarterback about to get hit
    #4 - Nice tackle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JV Football Week #6-img_2378.jpg   JV Football Week #6-img_2389.jpg   JV Football Week #6-img_2398.jpg   JV Football Week #6-img_2432.jpg  

Re: JV Football Week #6

There are two more that I really liked.

#1 - Nice tackle shot
    #2 - I like the focusing on this shot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JV Football Week #6-img_2445.jpg   JV Football Week #6-img_2506.jpg  

Well Mr Watson! I Must say that Mike is doing very well! The Panning on this first shot is great, and he is doing a great job on the action as well.

I think you will find the Canon 70-200 f2.8 USM IS a more than worthy replacement, and more than up to the task of night football, and even day football too.
    Keep up the good work you two!

JS

Whoa! The interception shot is something else! I had to look and look at it to figure out where all of those legs and feet came from. WOW!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

good timing on the interception shot, but the picture's off. Don't know if its the focus or what, but it's not sharp, and everyone seems to be glowing. The rest of the shots are great though! the panning one is my favorite. One thing that I would suggest is to try and get in front of the players. The expressions on the faces are much more interesting to look at than the numbers on their backs. Keep up the shooting!

Livin4lax,

We determined the cause of the photos are out of whack is due to a loose barrell on the lens. They are sending it in for repair after trying out the new one.

A loose barrell can cause all kinds of havoc, and it happens to the best of lenses, but it's very common in less expensive lenses. Focus can be off on one side, top, bottom, or the entire photo, just depends on how the lens is held and moved, but inconsistant focusing problems is, 90% of the time a loose barrell. The barrell should not move side to side (or wiggle back and forth)... if it dose it's loose and needs repaired. It's a simple thing of just tightening it up but it's best to have the maker do it so it's right.
    At one point I had two of them go bad, cheap to fix though! I think it was like $80 and $30 of it was shipping.

JS

wannabe

Those shots are great! In my little town, all football is played at night. Even Little league, so I don't get many cahnces for daylight action, but these shots are great.

BTW hesaias... Welcome! I forgot that in the other thread.... sheesh, old age really is getting me today... or is it starvation now??? WAiting for the microwave to finish dinner

JS

Thread Information