Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Intentional underexposure?

This past weekend I shot a high school and a college football game. Both were night games and the lighting was not what I would've liked it to be at either game. I was shooting wide open at f/2.8 at 1,600 ISO and I still could not get the minimum 1/250th second shutter speed I like to shoot football at.

I know that I can't do anything after the fact about the blur I was getting by shooting slower than 1/250th second but I can do something about an underexposed photo so I was wondering if I could've intentionally underexposed by one or two stops and then corrected the exposure later on my computer. Would this have worked?

Re: Intentional underexposure?

Here are some shots I got at the Texas State game Saturday night. These were taken during warm-ups when there was still plenty of sunlight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intentional underexposure?-leg_8333x.jpg   Intentional underexposure?-leg_8410x.jpg   Intentional underexposure?-leg_8473x.jpg   Intentional underexposure?-leg_8475x.jpg  

Three of the shots I got during the actual game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Intentional underexposure?-leg_8664x.jpg   Intentional underexposure?-leg_8853x.jpg   Intentional underexposure?-leg_9287x.jpg  

The key to good night shots is getting the exposure right the first time. By underexposing the shot you'll have to brighten the pictures in post processing and this will bring out a lot of noise. I think you'd do better if you just push your ISO to 3200 to up the shutter speed then to underexpose the shot. Either way your going to get noise but I think you'll get more by underexposing and correcting later.

Jim
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=7705
    Canon 1D Mark IIn
    Canon 40D w/ Vertical Grip
    Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    Canon 1.4 TC
    580Ex
    Monopod

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

yes, very true. the best way to avoid noise is to hit the exposure dead on or overexpose by 1/3. +1/3 at ISO 3200 looks better than -2/3 at ISO 1600, no question.

Thread Information