Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Hurling

Hurling

A local hurling match yesterday Castleknock in blue and yellow

# 1

# 2

# 3

# 4

Thanks for looking

Re: Hurling

never heard of this sport before, but I like your shots

Cool!

Always like seeing a new sport on this forum. And I'm pretty sure this is the first time someone has posted hurling photos here. The photos are very good - your exposure and focus is right on. Can you tell us a little about how you shot them? What camera, lens, exposure mode, focus technique, etc?

Thanks for sharing
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Always like seeing a new sport on this forum. And I'm pretty sure this is the first time someone has posted hurling photos here. The photos are very good - your exposure and focus is right on. Can you tell us a little about how you shot them? What camera, lens, exposure mode, focus technique, etc?

Thanks for sharing

Thanks everyone for looking and your comments.

Photo-John this is not a new sport

Hurling (Irish: Iománaíocht/Iomáint) is an outdoor team game of ancient Gaelic origin, administered by the Gaelic Athletic Association, and played with sticks called hurleys and a ball called a sliotar. Hurling is the national sport of Ireland. The game has prehistoric origins, has been played for at least 3,000 years, and is thought to be the world's fastest field team game in terms of game play.

These were shot with a canon 300mm f/2.8 IS mounted on a 1DMKIII
    The game started at about 7:00pm which made the light perfect from one side of the pitch. I positioned myself about 10 yards from the corner flag and didn't move from there so I could get both teams (each half) in good light.

I ALWAYS shoot from a low position which gives the subject a more dramatic effect. Its best to really know the sport you are shooting so you can anticipate where the play (ball) will be.

Let me know if you need any additional information or have any other questions.

Re: Hurling

have to look out for this sport as seems fun!

Thread Information