Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Hurdler

Hurdler

From a track meet at Chico State.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurdler-rbb_1320_2_3.jpg  

Re: Hurdler

I really like this photo a lot, Bob. It's nice and tight and the compressed background with the stacked up hurdles is really nice. I'm curious about some of the technical aspects, though. It seems a bit red to me and it also looks like it has a bit of digital artifacting. Was it a high ISO shot? Maybe a big crop?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Photo-John,

Thanks for commenting.

This shot was taken two years ago when I was shooting and processing JPEGs only as opposed to my current practice of shooting RAW + JPEG and processing RAW only. It was taken with a Nikon D200 + 70-300 VR zoom at 1/1000, f/5.6, and ISO 320. I cropped off about 50% of the original image.

If I were processing this image today I would be following a different procedure then the one I was using two years ago. That would include desaturating the reds. I probably should have re-processed it before posting it here! I don't see the digital artifacts you mention, but a while back I started receiving comments about some of my images displaying noise and artifacts that I couldn't detect. I have not received such comments since I started shooting and processing only RAW files as well as revising my workflow. In spite of whatever shortcomings this image might have I was fortunate enough to have a judge award it best-of-show at our local camera club competition not long after I shot it.

Bob

Photo Moron PM

nice shot cool
    "I'm just an ATM machine"

Great action!

Thanks for the explanation, Bob. The combination of the large crop and shooting JPEG with the D200 explains the noise. And noise is all I meant by "digital artifacting." I hope I didn't make you think I didn't like the photo because that isn't the case at all. I love it and that's why I commented on it
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Photo Moron PM

good stuff
    "I'm just an ATM machine"

Hurdles are one of my favorite track events to shoot. Love this shot, the ladies are always interesting because of the way the hire flies in all directions. Hope to shoot a few meets this spring.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks much to all for the positive comments. This track meet is a 2-day event that is held annually in early March, and I recently attended the decathlon and heptathlon events held on the second day. I hope soon to post photos taken then which will include some hurdling shots.

Bob

Thread Information