Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

How do you go about ???

Hello ALl,
    I'm looking into going to various MotorSports events such as NHRA, NASCAR, AMA, etc.
    and my question is, How do you go about getting "Photo Credentials" for these events???
    Do you go to the Track that they are taking place OR go to the Sanctioning Body for "Access"???
    ... and once you're able to get the credentials, what am I looking at PAYING for it???

I've heard you need to have an "Assignment" from a website or magazine, etc. to even be in the running for access, is this true???

Thanks for any info you may have,
    Roger

Re: How do you go about ???

Are you a complete amateur or have you done some work for a newspaper or other publication that can apply for a credential for you? That would be the easiest way I can think of to get a credential. You'd probably still need to get whoever you are affiliated with the contact information to apply, from NASCAR or NHRA etc, especially if they wouldn't normally deal with them.

NASCAR themselves has a website that you or your organization uses to request credentials. Unless you have a publication or even a blog and aren't affiliated with an actual media outlet, the odds don't look good, but you can always try. Their website to apply is http://www.nascarmediagroup.com/even..._form/form.php
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

You have to work up to it over the years.
    A friend has made it in the UK, after 3 years.
    He still makes no money out of it*, but has a job to support him the rest of the year.
    It helps tremendously to be able to write, as then you can do the job of a journalist and photographer at small events.

* OK maybe £2000 to £3000 but you can't live on that.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Are you a complete amateur ???
    the answer to that would be YES, I've only been shooting since July of 2010.
    I know I have a long way to go as far as "Making a Living" doing anything photo related, but I was thinking "What better way to get some experience with the environment of the racing world".
    Okay, I'll look into the above info and Thank You for the advice,
    Roger

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

If you get to know people, a possible way in is as assistant, if you're technically good enough for your work to be useful.

It's a very competitive business, for some events here in the UK you have to have a way to get your photos out fast. So your support equipment like digital wireless interface, laptop (or even iPad), automated upload software, web image server, all becomes as important as being there and getting the shot.

Don't forget the antisocial hours too, waiting around, the scrum for shots fighting for position, the challenge of coming up with something that the other 50-100 people didn't ... there's no glamour in it.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Just my 2 cents, as far as AMA you go to the track website,NASCAR (boring to shoot) is best to know someone (Thanks Jimmy! haha) My suggestion is go to the events, buy a paddock/pit pass and shoot everything you can, cars, bikes, teams. Go as often as you can and keep doing this. I have not shot NHRA (yet) so I dont know their rules. Knowing the track makes all the difference, I have seen photogs in the darndest places because they dont know the track. So keep going and keep practicing. It will help you in the long run. (and yes, this is what I shoot lol)

wannabe

I started out doing track days. I also know a lot of racers that helped me out. I also contacted local MX tracks if I could shoot them and they all said yes and loved it. I built up a portfolio and sent it off to Alpinstars and now I shoot for them, Im still waiting for my first paid assignment from them but hey I got a pretty cool media vest out of them.

It takes time a lot of time of siting in the hot sun.
    D700
    85mm 1.8 D
    24-70 2.8 ED
    70-200 2.8 ED VRII
    2xSB900
    Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100watt heads.

http://dustindraperphotography.com/

Thread Information