Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Help With Hockey Shots

I am having troubles getting any good hockey action shots. I have posted one here as a sample. I know the WB is off in this image. I am using a Nikon D700 at 2.8 70-200 lens, SS 400 (would like to use faster), ISO I believe was 3200 or higher. I have very low lighting conditions. Anyone have any tips!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help With Hockey Shots-8997-4x6.jpg  

Re: Help With Hockey Shots

Here is one that is slightly better but not much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help With Hockey Shots-web.jpg  

Re: Help With Hockey Shots

I personally think the second one is a lot better, as far as WB and the jerseys go. If the first one was cropped to show the skater with the puck alone and had the better color of the second shot it'd make for a decent 'stock' shot of that player. Maybe an 'auto-levels' or at least contrast, could bring it to the level of the second one. They'd both still would require minor noise reduction depending on their final usage. I'm only guessing but I think you could at least go to 1/500 SS judging from the two you showed.

It's hard when you have to deal with crazy old cycling lights in arenas. I can get almost perfect jersey colors yet have 3 different shades of ice in a 3 shot burst.
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Thread Information