Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Gymnastics

Gymnastics

Well after three basketball games that went down to the final minute it was time for a calm day of gymnastics.... did I say calm? It wasn't that calm though as the school I was shooting was fighting for a chance to move on to the regionals, and they did, by a mere 4 points. It wouldn't have been that close but the kids had problems on their best event, the balance beam as three of their top 4 fell at least once and the one who didn't did an amazing job of saving herself twice. :thumbsup: So nect Friday night it's off to the regionals

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gymnastics-js087074.jpg   Gymnastics-js087118.jpg   Gymnastics-js087178.jpg  
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Re: Gymnastics

Great work once again JS! It must be nice to shoot something that doesn't require you to dodge the action. :thumbsup: I was going to share this one with you from last night's game, I thought you might be able to relate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gymnastics-dsc_0263resize.jpg  
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

lol, I caught the ball three times in one game this week I also got kicked twice by cheerleaders and punched another.... I swear cheerleaders are blind!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Actually, the ball is the smallest problem I have. It's those 6'5" 200 lb. kids with the 40" vertical coming down on my head or worse pinning me to the wall. And everyone wants to be a sports photographer?
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

Quote Originally Posted by dhyravy
    Actually, the ball is the smallest problem I have. It's those 6'5" 200 lb. kids with the 40" vertical coming down on my head or worse pinning me to the wall. And everyone wants to be a sports photographer?

I only got hit by one basketball player in 8 years..... and she had a soft landing and a big laugh after the game worse yet, she still brings it up 4 years later. Believe me though, it's much better to get hit by basketball players than by a midget race car that hits the catch fence right where your standing and your looking up at it's undercarriage. And it's better than being hit by football players too.... JETA, OT and I may need to start wearing pads on the sidelines

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Nice action. I like #3 best as it is a great angle and you can see her face. #1 is nice as well as most times on the vault you are not able to see a face. I also like #1 because it shows her attention to detail as you can see her hands are they way she needs to hold them as she lands.

Nice job.

What were your settings??

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Thanks Phil, it was an interesting day there, shooting conditions are lousy at best! I did however get more than the paper will ever use

#1: 1/200 f2.8 1600 EV +3

#2: 1/100 f2.8 1600 EV +3

#3: 1/125 f2.8 1600 EV +3

As you can see from the settings the lighting wasn't too good, however with propper settings and so forth things worked out very nicely. One of the things I did was to watch the warmups through the viewfinder and watch the light meter and decided from there on where to shoot from and what settings to use and adjusting from there for each participant. It really helped on the vault that no one was sitting in that area so I full run of the area as to where I shot from. I tried from the right of where I was for this one but it didn't work at all.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

In #2, the window is just in the right spot to be "in the way". That is so typical with this sport. I have found that some of the gyms I have been shooting in lately have allowed e to shoot at 1/320 with ISO 1250 or 1600. I get SOME motion blur but get better stop action on ariel moves like the flips and high bar for boys.

Indy Convention center was one of the best. Allowed me to shoot some at 1/400 ISO 1600 and be on with light meter.

Good job. Post some more if you get time.
    Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Thread Information