Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Grand-Am Season Finales

A lot has happened since September such as a bad and lingering flu, then my laptop going kaput... but I have finally found time to go through my shots from September 29 at Lime Rock. I decided to take their Motorsports Workshop to try my hand a shooting racing other than dirt track/oval races. This day long workshop was in the form of an assignment in order to learn how to completely cover an event for a potential client. It was definitely a challenge to cover everything at a 1.5 mile track instead of a local 1/2 mile oval - and instead of a jovial jockeying for shots with 2 or 3 other pros, there were many shooters there, both still and television. Yet I had a great day. Nikon was there lending equipment, so I borrowed a D-7000 body with a 70-300. After the morning races, I was really unhappy with my shots - then in the final race I got really bored. Then I realized that this was good; I had exhausted myself of the standard shots, was able to let go of some rigidity, then had a lot of fun with the rest of the shots. Here are some of the shots I feel good about! Thanks for looking. (This set all shot using my Olympus E-3 and E-5.)

PS Two days later in NYC, I shot the FXDD team in NYC in front of the sponsor's building.. They won the drivers and team championships in GT, and one photo I took of the drivers with the car was was bought and featured in the Toronto Star's Wheels section.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand-Am Season Finales-p9294542.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-p9294515.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-p9294507.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-p9294371.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-p9294135.jpg  

Grand-Am Season Finales-p9293984.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-p9293911.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-p9293882.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-p9293708.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-p9293412.jpg  

Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

Re: Grand-Am Season Finales, 2nd set

Set 2 - all were shot with the Nikon D-7000, except for the first, shot with my Olympus E-5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand-Am Season Finales-p9293172.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-dsc_0591.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-dsc_0492.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-dsc_0431.jpg   Grand-Am Season Finales-dsc_0385.jpg  

Grand-Am Season Finales-dsc_0289.jpg  
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!

Re: Grand-Am Season Finales

Nice stuff Megan. I've never had a the opportunity to photograph a road race, looks like you made yourself right at home here. I have a D7000 and it would not be my first choice of Nikons to shot this type action, but it looks like you did a very creditable job with it.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thank you! They gave me the D7000 because the only extra card I had was an SD card. All of my CF cards were for my Olympii (?!) but all worked out well!
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!

Outstanding work Megan! Next to the last shot is a winner.

Jimmy B

Thread Information