Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Golf...

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Golf...

I got to shoot some golf yesterday when my school's Women's Golf team competed in the second day of the conference tournament. I had never shot golf before, and I didn't have time to look into it. Had I done that, I would have known not to shoot when they were in their backswing...(oops!!)

The next golf event that I will get to shoot (and hopefully my last for a long time) is going to be in two weeks when the Men's Golf Team goes for their conference championship at Whistling Straits in Kohler, WI (where the PGA championship was held in 2004). Does anyone have any advice on taking good Golf photos? I'm not limited to any particular area of the course so long as I don't interfere with play.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Re: Golf...

Quote Originally Posted by masdog
    I got to shoot some golf yesterday when my school's Women's Golf team competed in the second day of the conference tournament. I had never shot golf before, and I didn't have time to look into it. Had I done that, I would have known not to shoot when they were in their backswing...(oops!!)

The next golf event that I will get to shoot (and hopefully my last for a long time) is going to be in two weeks when the Men's Golf Team goes for their conference championship at Whistling Straits in Kohler, WI (where the PGA championship was held in 2004). Does anyone have any advice on taking good Golf photos? I'm not limited to any particular area of the course so long as I don't interfere with play.

Maybe use your 70-200 and shoot from a distance. . . that way the shutter noise might not be as distracting. . . and another good shot is after their swing, when the club is behind their back and they are looking down the fairway. Also being behind them when they hit out of a bunker, or across the green from them. . .those always look good. just my 2 cents.

Canon 20D, Canon 300D, Canon 100-400 IS F5.6L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 200 f2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 300 F4L IS, Canon Extender 1.4x II, Canon 420EX Speedlite, Slik PRO 400 DX Tripod, Photoshop CS2, G4 Apple Powerbook

Thread Information