Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Girls HS B Ball

Girls HS B Ball

Just a few random shots from a game this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Girls HS B Ball-dsc_1118-2-1000.jpg   Girls HS B Ball-dsc_1137-2-1000.jpg   Girls HS B Ball-dsc_1213-2-1000.jpg   Girls HS B Ball-dsc_1335-2-1000.jpg   Girls HS B Ball-dsc_1281-2-1000.jpg  

Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Girls HS B Ball

Larry,

Good show! I like all of these photos. I'm a sucker for shots where the player is captured with both feet off the playing surface at the same time. Therefore, I have to award extra points for #1 and #4. However, my favorite shot here is the last one where you have apparently caught an irate coach screaming at an out-of-sight ref for a call he made or did not make. (The partially visible ball on the right is possibly being held by the ref). I always get a laugh at the dramatic acting demonstrations by coaches, some of whom definitely qualify for Academy Award nominations.

The image quality of these basketball shots looks much better than some others you recently posted. Did you alter your workflow routine or did you happen on to a better lit gym or both? However, I notice that the colors look quite neutral, almost to the point of being washed out. For example, in #1, 2, and 3 the ball doesn't have that characteristic orange color, although it's somewhat better in photo #4. I'm wondering if the camera Picture Controls option is set to Neutral rather than Standard.

I don't find any EXIF data. Were these shot with your D700 + ?

When viewing these photos I keep getting distracted by those pinkish shoes worn by the Panthers players!

Bob

This is a great batch of photos, Larry - even if they are of basketball

The one of the coach yelling is really good. It may not be an actual basketball action photo, but it's got a lot of energy and the composition works really well. The photo I like the best is the second to last one, with the girl leaning in to the other one and her feet floating off the floor. That one is super nice!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

They are almost all floating off the floor, have they got flubber on those boots?

Seriously, the timing is good, and the shutter speed just gives enough movement and still keeps sharpness.

I wish that coach shot had been a little wider and caught the target of her tirade, but on the other hand it being a mystery adds extra interest. Why couldnīt she have pink/purple heels to match the teamīs boots?

I agree with John on that 4th shot, even if I am over-basketballed at the moment.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks guys for the comments. I have had several people say something about the coach's shoe and wished she had worn pink as well that night. This was only the teams 4th lose of the season and she was not happy with the officiating late in the game. I posted this pic on her facebook page and she loved it. She thought it really caught her feelings at the moment.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I did tweak my work flow a little on this game. I think all these were with the D700 with either the 28-70 or 80-200 I was changing lenses during the game and also shooting with the D7000 (as I process I just throw them all into the same folder and don't really keep them separate)

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information