Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Friday night football

Here are a few shots I did for the news paper, our team (licking Valley) is #1. They crush everyone in their paths.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Re: Friday night football

Hi Tyson,

Not a bad start, I don't know what your paper runs shot wise but the ones I shoot for don't want anything but action most of the time, except when a team wins for the first time in almost 3 seasons like this past weekend. Otherwise it's all action and one or two of the coach talking to players, yelling at refs ( boy do I hear it for those shots!) and similar things. A lot of the time now they tell me to get specific kids in action, or to just get certain action shots. They normally run two from each game.
    On these: #1: needs lightend up, it's real dark on my screen #2: Your missing the running back about to get the ball I think #3: No faces to speak of, no ball, the locals backsides don't do much #4:unless he's a local guy I doubt the paper would use it, although he might buy it #5: I don't get this one, the players are on the ground or standing there #6: this I do to help keep track of the game myself #7 on: I never shoot the band or cheerleaders as the paper never uses them unless they ask for them, and then it's always the weekly, never the daily. The one cheerleader shot at least two girls look like they have mustaches very odd.t5he last shot isn't bad but could use some lightning on the players face.

Just some thoughts, I'd work on some closeups of the QB passing, or players running the ball to get some action. Try to get linemans faces while they are battling in the trenches, those are always good, but it takes work to get them.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Wow great input, this was my first football game. I do mostly fire scenes and parades. I drew 5 games this year, I am shooting with an E500 with the 150mm kit lens and no press pass. I can't get to the side lines. I am working on the press pass. I work for the Newark Advocate, we have web galleries and most of the shots go there. The Photo editor ie my boss used #3 for the paper. Licking Valley (my kids's school) is like the #1 watched team in the county. I don't know much about sports myself, I couldn't tell you the difference from the line men and the running back. I guess I need to learn. High school sports is like the #1 thing here in licking county. The paper always wants blood and guts, child molesters and high school sports pictures. Anything crime wise will make the paper. Funny isn't it.

How can I be lost

Ahhh, OK, that explains a lot.... now wait, someone who raced but doesn't know football I thought they went hand in hand, like watching the games while fixin the car....oh well.

Anyway, the best way to shoot a sport is to know it, watch games, and look through all the football threads here. I'm glad you didn't take my comments the wrong way, some do... oh well.
    Not having credentials will affect things, but there are ways to get around it. You actually did OK for shooting where you did and that explains a lot too. Hmmm, too bad Newark is so far away, I'd drag you along for some sideline lessons....

BTW, I used to live in Lancaster....

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

What a pitty, I am always willing to learn. I am by no means one of those know it all types. I love to learn and expand the way Ido things. I did notice that the pictures from my boss (he shot a game that day too) looked all the same QB throwing the ball, running the ball. The same shot over and over again.

How can I be lost

As John said not bad for your first outing. He is sure right about the more you know about the game the better pics your going to get. Just like in any other kind of photography if you can anticipate whats going to happen you can be ready for the shot. Keep shooting and try to have that ball in every frame and as much face and player expression as you can get. I'm looking forward to more from you.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson L. Sparks
    What a pitty, I am always willing to learn. I am by no means one of those know it all types. I love to learn and expand the way Ido things. I did notice that the pictures from my boss (he shot a game that day too) looked all the same QB throwing the ball, running the ball. The same shot over and over again.

Interesting, does he have each person shooting different things at the games, like him shooting the QB and someone else the running back and doing whatever? If so maybe he doesn't know the game enough either, it happens with new people... just odd he do nothing but take pictures of the QB

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information