Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Shooting Canon and loving it!

Football Action Pic

This is the first action type picture I have taken with the Canon EOS A2 35mm camera. I know little about the settings, I think it was on AP mode, because thats what the guy who I brought it from told me would be best to take action shots.

It's a picture of one of our coaches (MSU Quarterback Drew Stanton) demonstrating during a quarterback drill.

I was using a 70-300 Canon Lense. What do you think?

PS we just ordered the Canon 30D - is that a better camera, considering I need something digital...I hate developing film.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Football Action Pic-014_12.jpg  

Re: Football Action Pic

Not bad. Try to anticipate the action a little more and get the ball just as it comes of the finger tips. That will usually make for a more dramatic picture. Those auto setting are nice but for my money I prefer to shot sports in manual. I want to make sure I have high shutter speed and a large aperture. I want to be able to control background clutter and of course make sure I will sufficiently stop the action with a higher shutter speed.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information