Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Flash Help!

Flash Help!

Alright, I'm getting really mad now! I've been shooting sports for a long time now and never had this problem until I bought a Vivitar 283 and Sto-fen diffuser. All I've been getting back from the lab are black slides with hints of neon ceiling lights. Lately I'm usually shooting at 1/125 sec and f22 (according to what the vivitar tells me to do at 3-5 feet). Obviously something is wrong and I've been doing alot of testing but I'm running out of money here! I work 8 hours a week!! SO, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I got a couple of shots where I got a hint of a rider in the frame. I think I shot at f11 on those. So should my f stop be way more open? And if so, how do I know exactly how open when the flash is saying [5ft /f22]? This is getting VERY FRUSTRATING because I've been shooting some nuts good guys and they are psyched to do it for a camera but they want results and I got nothing to show. PLEASE HELP! If I get one more dark roll of flourescent lights I think I'm going to.. I don't even know! Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer. -Justin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flash Help!-read-table.jpg  

Say Hello To My Little Film
    First of all, forget the Omni Bounce, it works ok for events like weddings and such but really isn't good for anything unless there are walls or ceiling around for the light to bounce off of. Secondly, the Omni Bounce reduces your flash output so this is one reason why your pictures are underexposed. It sounds like you are using your 283 in full manual mode having it fire full output everytime. There's an easier way. Use one of the bagillion auto modes that thing has based on the situation. The auto modes are much more accurate as they are good for a range of distances (i.e. 5-20ft). In the photo you posted, the rider is backlit by the sun so you should've opened up your aperture a couple of stops. So in summation, ditch the stofen unless you're in a room with short ceilings and learn how to use the auto modes on your flash and you should start getting better results.

-Nate

sorry for the confusion

the pic is just a random shot, no flash. It has nothing to do with my post. Sorry about that. Also, what do you mean, full auto modes? Either way I have to set my shutter speed (here it is to the fastest sync speed) and aperture to what the flash tells me, correct? the auto thyristor should be doing the rest anyway BUT, the closest full auto mode (purple, for those familiar with the flash) only works for 10 ft at the closest. With a 20mm lens I'm shooting from only 5 ft away. I was using the Stofen because( in theory )the auto mode only goes to 10 ft because any closer would be too bright. Know what I mean? -Justin

Say Hello To My Little Film
    It wasn't clear in your last post if you were using the auto modes or not that's why i suggested it. You should post one of the shots that demonstrates the problem you're having. That way it'll be easier to judge what's going wrong than by just having to guess at it with no examples to help.

-Nate

Might I suggest...

That you post this question in the "Help Files" board? I know this is a sports photography question, but I can almost guarantee you will get more feedback if you asked this one there.

Good luck!
    Nikon Samurai #3

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true
    friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

http://brians4x4adventures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianliles/
    http://www.facebook.com/brianliles

Will Do

Good Idea. Thanks - Justin

Thread Information