Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Shooting Canon and loving it!

First Shots of MSU Hockey

So, this was my first event. I know these pictures aren't great, but it's a start I figure.

I covered the Michigan State Hockey National Championship Parade and Celebration, it was a lot of fun.

Below are a couple pictures, feel free to give me any advice, I am a NEWBIE, this is my first time shooting with my Canon 20D.

Thanks for viewing, and remember ... GO GREEN - GO WHITE - GO STATE!

Beamer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Shots of MSU Hockey-sparty_walking-copy.jpg   First Shots of MSU Hockey-sparty_john.jpg   First Shots of MSU Hockey-band_small.jpg   First Shots of MSU Hockey-cheer_small.jpg   First Shots of MSU Hockey-hockey_celebrate_small.jpg  

Last edited by Beamer; 04-11-2007 at 11:08 AM.

Re: First Shots of MSU Hockey

Nice shots for the first crack at it. Sparty's looking good.
    John

John,

Thanks for the comments, but you know - Sparty ALWAYS looks good....Go Green!

Beamer

Sorry, I'm a UMD & Minnesota fan....since 1968 ) ....although one of my Uncles worked at MSU for 40 years or more. Another relative built a scoreboard that stood for 30+ plus years at the Univ. of Michigan and both my parents were born and raised in Michigan and supported both schools. Needless today we had some interesting times during football and hockey seasons

Not a bad start there Beamer, anymore of the game(s) ?

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Not bad parade shots! I would love to see some action shots of the championship game. Especially the winning goal with less than 20 seconds left! What a nail biter!
    Marty in Central Illinois - The Land of Corn and Flatness!

That Championship game was AWESOME. I admit, because I worked with the Football Program, I didn't get into hockey much, but that game was so much fun.

When I seen BC skate out onto the ice during warm-ups they looked like the Russian Cosmonates, big - strong - and ungodly fast. Then MSU came out, looking more like a pee-wee hockey team, then a college team. I though, oh boy, we're gonna get killed.

Lucky for us Spartan people, that group of young men never doubted themselves, and their fore-checking was sensational. I mean, they hit BC hard on the boards the whole game, and skated with lighting quick speed. They made BC play MSU hockey, something I didn't think would happen.

I was sitting with about 8,000 MSU fans, and when the go ahead goal went in with 18 seconds left, time literally froze, it was quite for a 10th of a second, and everyone looked at eachother, I mean, it was like they didn't believe what just happened happened. Then...pure pandamonium, I wish I would have captured it, ever seen a picture with 8,000 people in green hugging eachother and dancing at the same time? That's exactly what it looked like. I have never seen anything like it. And of couarse, like a complete NOB, I was hugging and dancing too...not snaping in burst mode.

Beamer

Thread Information