Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

First post. Great Forum!! (Introduction)

This is my first post in this forum so I wanted to introduce myself and say thank you to everyone for their great input and comments!

I am a father of twin boys (14 yrs old) and purchased a Canon 20D earlier this year to take pictures of their little league games (http://www.watsonworld.org/boys/base...seball_2k5.htm). I was previously using an ELAN II but I wanted to cut down on film costs. I love the 20D!! I am using my Tamron 100-300 (which was one factor in purchasing the 20D... not having to purchase a new telephoto lens).

One of my boys decided to play football so I let my other son use my equipment to take pictures of the JV games (on the sidelines) while I video tape the games for the coaches.

He took a CD of his pictures over to the local paper (because they had not been publishing pictures of the JV games) and they used his pictures. He has now been published 3 weeks in row (getting photo credit too) and loving it. When I dropped off his last CD for him (on my way to pick the boys up after football practice) they said they wanted to start paying him for the games (for exclusive rights to the photos). They also wanted him to start shooting the varsity games.

He was very disappointed with the quality of the shots from the varsity game (last Friday night). I had him put on the flash (420EX) thinking that would be enough light with the well lit field. Boy was I wrong.

I jumped on the Internet for ideas and found the problem almost immediately. I am now trying to get the Misses to okay a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. Wish me luck.

My son has a pretty good eye for catching the action (his pictures have become popular with the community and parents have asked for pictures of their kids playing) so I want to encourage him to keep going and learn about photography. I have been coaching him along but feel like like I fell down on the job when I didn't anticipate this problem.

Anyway... enough of this babbling! I wanted to say THANK YOU for all the input here! Wish me luck... I am going to need it... especially before basketball starts... !!!!! (thats when the boys will switch sports participation).

Cliff Watson

Re: First post. Great Forum!! (Introduction)

Good to have you aboard Cliff. Glad that some of the ideas and technique you have read about here have been helpful. Stick around and share some of your images with use. I think you will find taht there are a lot of photographers here that are eager to help and learn at the same time. We have several that are in similar situation as you that are regular contributers on the forum.

The f2.8 lens is a great idea, Friday nights just nearly cry out for for it.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

You can see the Sigma 2.8 70-200mm in action with the 20D here. Show this to your wife.

http://tigerpics.smugmug.com

It is an awesome lens that I learned about from the fellas here.

Welcome Cliff. It's great to have you.

This board has been a lifesaver for me. Everyone is very helpful and nice. Every week I'm learning new things just from reading.

I'd say I'm probably the biggest shoemaker on this board with little knowledge. Doesn't matter. Everyone is STILL nice and helpful no matter how *beginner-ish* my questions are.

I got this lens for my camera(Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Image Stabilizer
    Mfr# 7042A002) because all of our games are at night & I wanted the best. It was a hefty $1700, but well worth it.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Hello Cliff! Glad you found the information usefull. We try to help, we don't always have an answer or the same answer but we try. Welcome too!

Yup, the f4 lens is a problem at night, so here are your options

1: Canon 70-200 USM IS $1699.00
    2: Canon 70-200 USM
    3: Sigma 70-200

All are f2.8 The Sigma can be had for around $650, the non IS Canon is a good lens, basically, quality wise the Sigma and Canon non IS lens are the same, although AF may be a slight bit faster it's not noticable. The IS model adds image stabilization which really helps action shooting and will give more keepers. The question is: can you afford it? Can you earn the money back? Can you talk the wife into it?
    I can't answer two of those, but you should be able to earn the money back.

So lets see some of your shots and your sons!

JS

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Welcome, Cliff.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome. Here is a link to the baseball pictures I have put online. There are tons more that I have archived but since I am on dial-up, everything I post is size sensitive.

Baseball Pictures

I will post Mike's pictures (my son) in different threads for ease of viewing.

It is difficult for me to sit by and watch him shoot, but I am hoping the sacrifice will be worth it.

Thanks again!

Thread Information