Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

First football with new gear..I got tackled too!

Well tonight went OK, some really good shots for the paper and I even ended up taking a hit too... the camera and lens came through it unscathed however I didn't..... my right knee hurts like heck and is now missing some skin and has a rather large lump on it.

The photos: The first two were shot with the nw Canon 28-300mm USM IS, one with flash, one without...I'm impressed with the shot that didn't have flash. The third shot is with the Canon 70-200mm USM IS and using flash. These were all shot at shutter speed of 200, ISO between 1250 and 1600.

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First football with new gear..I got tackled too!-101405-036.jpg   First football with new gear..I got tackled too!-101405-052.jpg   First football with new gear..I got tackled too!-101405-073.jpg  

Re: First football with new gear..I got tackled too!

As always nice action shots. I really like the third one. New gear always takes a little getting use to, but I can't imagine that it will be that much different than what you have been shooting so the transion should be pretty easy. Thanks for sharing with us. Oh yeah very nice timing on the second shot.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks OT. The body isn't what I'm getting used to, the settings are the same, same controls for the most part. I'm just getting used to the lenses as they wiegh a bit more than the Sigma.
    Yeah the timing on shot #2 was good, just wish the flash would have fired, the batteries were going south at the time.

I have noticed a huge difference in the keepers though. Now I keep 80 to 90 %... the IS and faster AF added 30 to 40 % to that. But the important thing is the number of shots the paper is getting has gone way up too. I'm getting more spectacular shots at night that I didn't get before.

The staff photog still hasn't figured out I have new gear.

JS, very nice shot buddy. talk about putting your life on the side line eh, I got a couple close call friday nite too. will post some when Im off work today. yes, the second one wish the flash were there but you got some great timing though.

oh boy, I forget to congratulation on your new gear. and welcome to the new heavy weight. hehe...

Thanks JT,
    Hey, was your son in the game on ESPN Thursday night?

JS

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    As always nice action shots. I really like the third one. New gear always takes a little getting use to, but I can't imagine that it will be that much different than what you have been shooting so the transion should be pretty easy. Thanks for sharing with us. Oh yeah very nice timing on the second shot.

Thanks OT. You do pretty well yourself there too!

Whew, the Vikings bite this year.... Da Bears are beating the stuffing out of em...

Anyway, so far the only problem I am having in the switch between the two bodies is trying to find the darn trash can... they moved it and I keep going to the old location and hitting a different button ...otherwise it's great!

Great shots JS. The second one is my favorite!

I'm so glad you got all of your gear.

Sorry to hear you got tackled. Maybe you should go see the doc?
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    Great shots JS. The second one is my favorite!

I'm so glad you got all of your gear.

Sorry to hear you got tackled. Maybe you should go see the doc?

LOL, the doc would just laugh at me.... especially after last weeks visit. I think he likes seeing me in pain, especially after I stumped him and his buddy. I still hurt though... but I hadn't been hit like that or fallen that hard in 30 years

Thanks, I really like it... been playing with some raw shots the past couple days, just something different to do.

JS

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Great captures with your new gear, JS. I really like the 3rd picture.

Keep the good stuff coming.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Wish I could post the one just before the third one....however the paper is running that one on Thursday so I can't use it here .... oh well, it will be printed in 22000 papers so twenty two people may actually see it haha...actual circulation is 18000... ok, 18 people will see it. Actually I think more people look at the pictures than read the stories
    In the shot he is headed straight at me....guess he didn't want me to get him again (same player who got facemasked last week).

Well today wasn't too bad, I now have another paper to shoot for... ahhh, more work, more money, more double paychecks too!

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Thanks JT,
    Hey, was your son in the game on ESPN Thursday night?

JS
    uh no, not really. my boys is only 7 and 8 years old. wish I have them kid that old so they can support my habit eh.

lol, I guess I AM getting old... the memory is going... and I am getting people mixed up!!

JS

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto

Well today wasn't too bad, I now have another paper to shoot for... ahhh, more work, more money, more double paychecks too!
    Wahoo! Great news JS!

Our game Friday night was the BEST football game I've ever seen in my life! We won in double overtime. Best part was the team we beat. They were into bragging to the press about how they were going to take us out the whole week b4 the game. Aw, bummer. We won. ;) It was on their turf too!

Winning touchdown was run behind my son.

Tons or rain this time. I missed almost the full first quarter with camera problems. Seems my problem was the photographer. I accidentally changed my lens to manual focus. Hehehehehe.....

I almost forgot part of it. The sports editor came up to me b4 the game and asked if he could use my photos again. His photgrapher couldn't make it. He called today and said he was thrilled with the shots and may use up to 9 of them. I'll be curious to see how many he uses, if I get color pics and the front of the sports page. The paper will be out on Wed.

Sorry for the blabbing.... Just some exciting stuff I had to share with you guys.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

JETA.... you need a cold shower....

hahaha...

Hey thats great... 9 in one paper from one game... I helped you too much

I only had 11 in one paper, but same as you it was a weekly and the team I was shooting was playing in the state finals, not a regular season game. Then they would run one or two! The one they ran on the front page was great, I'll have to dig it out. This cheerleader was on the shoulders of another girl and holding a sign saying "We Are NW" for Northwood high school, and in the background you see the scoreboard Chatard 49 Northwood 0 .... OUCH!! That poor girl probably wanted to kill me for that shot! What really bites though is that the 5 times this school made the state finals they lost all 5... and I went to that school

JS

Thread Information