Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Filter????

Filter????

So everyone one of my other passions are Miatas . I will be gong to a Mazda meet where there should be in the neighborhood of 50+ cars
    Now the word has gotten out about my camera and I will be shooting a bunch of these cars along with a few other amateurs like myself trying to look like I know what I'm doing .

Not having used my polarizing filter that much I would assume this would be a good thing to have on around all the shiny paint and glare coming off the cars?
    Any other ideas you can give me would be good. I will be using a monopod most of the day I think just to get a better shot if possible.
    Nikon D5100
    18-55
    55-300
    <<BLACKRAPID>>>>Sport2

Re: Filter????

Bring it and give it a try. I find sometimes not having a filter with a shiny object makes nice sparkles in the photo too so do some each way (stop down for starbursts). If you shoot in the middle of the day the polarizer will help make the sky look better (darker, more saturated) which can really help.

Polarizer may change some colors by filtering the light the way it does, and it will cost you a stop or two (don't remember exactly) of exposure speed. Also, if it's cloudy I wouldn't bother with it myself.

You'll see what it does as you turn it while looking through the viewfinder, just like turning polarized sunglasses one way and then another.

Are we too late? Was it over this weekend?

Nope not to late July 14th
    knowing these guys the cars will be clean and waxed so lots of glare more than likely. They will be all parked though no moving shots that I'm aware of. Unfortunately it will be high noon though, so unless i get lucky with a overcast day its gonna be hot and bright, a photographers dream right
    Nikon D5100
    18-55
    55-300
    <<BLACKRAPID>>>>Sport2

Thread Information