Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Does this count...

as sports photography?

I shoot a lot of aviation photos and my favorite type of photos are panning shots of airplanes doing low, high speed passes.

Here's an example from last week. What do you think?

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Looks pretty sporty to me. And that's definitely some sweet panning.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks PJ,
    I do a ton of panning shots, during good flying weather. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 70-200 L lens this year. Leaning towards the f/4 because I primarily shoot outdoors, good light and I've heard the f/4 is a lot lighter (ie easier to pan!) than the f/2.8.

Here's another, same airplane, same pass, a couple of frames later:

Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

I like the first one better. The details on the ground and the composition make it more interesting to me.

I have the 70-200 f/2.8L and I can vouch for its weight. That lens on the 1D, at an all day event, makes for one seriously sore shoulder and elbow. But I do like having that extra stop for shallow depth-of-field and because I like to use a polarizer all the time. Can't say anything bad about the f/4 version, though. Everyone loves it and it's always one of the most viewed lens review pages on this site.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

A bugger
    I agree, the first one works way better with the details in the background and the composition that allows the plane more 'space to go to'. The second one has too much of a central composition to my taste..

Cool Looks Like A Sport To Me!

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    as sports photography?

I shoot a lot of aviation photos and my favorite type of photos are panning shots of airplanes doing low, high speed passes.

Here's an example from last week. What do you think?

That is low, fast flying. And when you're spincter is that tight, the adrenaline is flowing just like any other sport.

Great shots buddy!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Hehe, I've got a friend that says "If you have to look down at the windsock, it's not a low fly-by." This guy made several passes, not sure why or who he was but I took advantage of it to get some panning practice!
    Troy

www.troybates.com

Thread Information