Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Dirt Track!!!

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Dirt Track!!!

Since it didn't look like it would rain until really late Saturday, I drove up to West Sand Lake to my uncle's house. We piled into his truck, picked up his buddy Bill and Bill Jr., and headed to Lebanon Valley. I posted a few shots from Lebanon Valley Speedway last year - I went there growing up. My uncle is unofficial mayor of the pit (it seems), an aunt organizes non-racing race-night events, and the flagger is my cousin. Anyway, I'm lucky to have so much family involved, and they let me walk around the pit and shoot at will - of course, not getting in the way of the business of racing.

It usually takes a few days for me to get around to going through personal shots, but P-J kept tweeting all day to get shots up on the Sports Forum, so I'm hustling tonight. Here are a few favorite shots from Saturday's events. Racing this past Saturday night were Pure Stock, Pro Stock Echo Series, 358 Modified, Modified, and I think, Sportsman. (The site is being updated, can't find the info!)

In this post: Writing down the line-up (that's Kim Herrick - awesome driver), the pure stocks lining up to go on the track, driver changing his tire, the view from the pit, and a Pure Stock drifting around the 4th turn.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!
    Twitter: @ponycargirl

Dirt Track!!! Set 2

This set: One quick dirt bike demo (races were the following day), the cars about ready to race, a racer coming off the 4th turn, and the last one - I was working on getting a shot of a car really kicking up the dirt. Got it in that last one!

Dirt Track!!! Crash....

It's getting towards the end of the season, and the drivers are getting more and more competitive and antsy. The last race, the Sportsman, there were four crashes - two of them pretty significant, before the 5th (of 20) rounds. Before the last race started, I wandered down to the first turn. It's hard to shoot there because there is an exit lane between the pit and the track. I was watching as they came in from the first round, and all of a sudden, a car was airborne and tumbling. I got my camera up and shooting as it came around, eventually landing upside down. The driver, once extracted, walked away. The lights and dust wreak havoc on shooting. For these I was using my 50-200mm lens, and shooting at 3200.

This set: The car mid-air, an official running to car, close-up of extraction, busted tire (on different car) in the pit.
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!

Redneckery!

That's some serious redneckery there, Megan! I like that last one with the beat up Monte Carlo in full drift. Have you been shooting the dirt track regularly or is this the second time you've been back? You should go more. And get people photos! I went to motorcycle ice races in San Francisco once and the spectators were almost as good (or better) than the racing
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Dirt Track!!!

dust is a problem there isn't it?
    but without it you wouldn't have that great corner drift!

at the track following a race I rarely put the camera down
    just pick a spot and follow the action, use the left eye past the camera to get the big picture and then frame and shoot if stuff happens.
    some of my best shots I wan't aware of the frame, pan, shoot - it just flowed, not concentrating on the VF image, just the composition at 80-90 mph

I want to see more of the people, too please!

pretty good for 3200 iso

on the airborne car, that backlit dust is a killer, not sure how I'd manage that
    flash would only light up the dust in front reducing contrast even more
    and of course in an evening race you don't want to flash the drivers !!

I can imagine a great Holga project here ...
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Dirt track is racing! 1/2 mile? Nice shots. I like the line up with the track in the back ground. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    I can imagine a great Holga project here ...
    That is a great idea. The Holga won't work for everything at the track. But it sure has a lot of potential for still shots of cars, people and the venue.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Very nice. I love the dirt track, I was on a Dirt Late Model team for years. Those pictures bring back some great memories. I am currently trying to get into my local tracks, Eriez Speedway in Erie, Pa. and Raceway 7 in Conneaut, Oh. I hope I can get some great shots like yours!
    Awesome job!
    D7000
    D40
    Sigma 70-200 f2.8
    Nikon 18-105 kit
    Nikon 18-55 kit
    Nikon 55-200 kit
    Nikon SB-600

Re: Redneckery!

This is the second time. I am planning on going up one more time for the finals in September. I wanted to go a little more often this summer, but that didn't pan out - I had too much going on. My uncle is there every Saturday night, so I can go any time! Next summer, however, I want to get up there as much as possible to practice shooting racing as well as get a good, solid photo essay going. The only drawback is that when I go, I have to pick a side - stands or the pits? Once you're in the pit, you're there for the night (no fancy bridge!), and I really really like it there. But yes - there are other shots to be had in the stands of the fans and other goings-on.

Excellent, thanks. Still finding my way around shooting fast cars - they don't cooperate with what I want in the frame, so it's a learning experience shooting them. I'll try your method next time!

I'll go back and get more. I didn't shoot much Holga at all, perhaps next time I'll juggle both cameras for some Holga shots - at least when it's still daylight.

(The track photographer actually does use a flash... my flash is either dead or the batteries were dead, duh, so I was flash-less all night.)
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!

Thanks! It's soooo much fun. Man, when those Modifieds get out there and get started, the sound of those engines is so awesome!

Thanks! Yes - 1/2 mile high-banked. Lebanon Valley Speedway
    Megan

Join me on Facebook!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Still finding my way around shooting fast cars - they don't cooperate with what I want in the frame, so it's a learning experience shooting them
    practice, practice, practice
    worked for me
    got me where I am today

you have to go racing more, learn what heppens where
    then you'll be in the zone when it does.

same for every sport, understand the sport and you get good shots
    understand the people you'll see the great ones

technique and knowing the equipment like the back of your hand - you got that
    you now need to be in the right place to let the photo come to you
    enjoy the practice !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

awesome shots

Amazing shots. Looks scary sports to me but seems so so fun!

The 4th shot in the initial post is stupendous with the blue sky. Nice shot.

Thread Information