Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Talking Celebrity Shots (haha)

This was the last day my friend owned his Chevy Celebrity so I convinced him to let us do a shoot on it! We learned quickly we had to prop up the rear bumper so the shocks wouldn't sink everytime they tried something on it. The shoot went great until some loud speaker started saying something about skateboarding and calling the police. We were done anyway... What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Fun

Your friend is nuts. Although, that ain't no classic car. It is a classic skate or bmx photo setup, though. I hope you bought him a Mt. Dew.

As far as photo quality goes, it looks like you could polish up your technique a little. What kind of camera are you using? Is it a compact digital? I'm seeing focus, flash, and exposure problems. The photo compositions and conception are pretty solid, but if your exposure and focus aren't there, you don't have a good photo. And those blocks have to go. I understand why you had to use them, but they are an ugly distraction.

So tell me more about how you shot these and the equipment you used and I'll give you some tips on how to improve your photos.

Thanks for posting!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I just took a look at some of your other posts and discovered you're using an Elan 7. Is that right? If that's the case, then maybe part of the problem with these photos is the scanning quality. But I still think that the exposures are dark and the blur isn't working for me. Maybe you need to get closer? Are you using your Vivitar flash? It may be that you're just trying to do too much with what you have. I'd try using a slave flash for these, in order to get the flash closer to the subject and play with the angle of light.

Still, it's a good idea. I just feel like it could have been done better. Next assignment - get some spray paint, tag that car up, and do another shoot with better lighting!
    Photo-John

I hear ya

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I just took a look at some of your other posts and discovered you're using an Elan 7. Is that right? If that's the case, then maybe part of the problem with these photos is the scanning quality. But I still think that the exposures are dark and the blur isn't working for me. Maybe you need to get closer? Are you using your Vivitar flash? It may be that you're just trying to do too much with what you have. I'd try using a slave flash for these, in order to get the flash closer to the subject and play with the angle of light.

Still, it's a good idea. I just feel like it could have been done better. Next assignment - get some spray paint, tag that car up, and do another shoot with better lighting!
    For this shot, in Nov 2003, I didn't use my Elan 7 because I wanted a wide angle lens (Now I have one for my 7, Canon 20-35mm). SOoo, I checked out some antique manual Canon because my school had a 24mm for it. This was my first shoot with a Viv 283. I definitely think I should have been closer and the slides are a bit underexposed, however, I got them pro-printed 8x11(?) and they looked great. They def don't look half as good on my screen, not sure why. I wasn't even sure what a slave was when I took these pics but I do now and I understand the lack of good lighting you were talking about. Also, I do like how the blur came out on these, BUT when I took them I was so mad because I realized I had shot the entire roll at 1/15 and I was aiming to get sharp subjects! My mind just wasn't working that day! Question, would you recomend AF (Al Servo) when shooting these type of subjects or manually focusing before hand? -Justin

Pre-focus

J-
    For photos like these, where the subject isn't in the center and you aren't panning, I'd pre-focus. Actually, even if you are panning, with a wide angle lens, when you know where your subject is going to be when you shoot, you might as well pre-focus. Pre-focusing is the sure thing. AI Servo works great with the right lenses and body. But if you have the option of safely pre-focusing, that's always the better choice. I only use AI Servo when I can't predict exactly where I'm going to press the shutter-release button. I actually have my cameras (EOS 1D and 10D) set up so that I can lock the focus with the custom function button. And I always have the camera set to AI Servo AF.
    Photo-John

Very cool, thanks for the help. Custom function,eh? Sounds like a good application of the CF. Time to get out the ol' manual and start studyin' up. I never really understood what I would use the custom functions for but I'm getting some idea now. Anyway, thanks again! -Justin

Thread Information