Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Cars and Bikes

40D gripped,400D,28-300L f/3.5,10-22 f/3

Cars and Bikes

Just a few of my local area car and bicycle shots,any thoughts greatly appreciated,thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cars and Bikes-1.jpg   Cars and Bikes-2.jpg   Cars and Bikes-3.jpg   Cars and Bikes-4.jpg   Cars and Bikes-5.jpg  

Cars and Bikes-0.jpg  

Re: Cars and Bikes

William good to see trucks racing besides here in the States. What kind of motors?
    Jimmy B

Hi Jimmy B,there part of the V8 ute circuit that race at different venues throughout the country,you can check it out here http://www.v8utes.co.nz/,thanks.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Good to see more sports shots, welcome!
    Nice selection of different subjects there.

Great to see those minis racing, they look at bit all over the place.
    Hard to get a group shot like this just right, I think the moment was a little bit before this shot, where the car at the front was still in the frame, and the car extreme right was further back and so in the frame as well.
    There are times when I think if I saw it in the viewfinder, I missed it - because the mirror wasn't up and the shutter wasn't open.
    Not crazy about the tilted horizon, but I see that it gives a bit more impact to the curve; there are lots of horizontal and vertical reference points that are visibly off though, it's hard to get away with it when the background is so cluttered.

That #22 ute is almost there, but the body is blurred. Looks like he's rolling or bouncing in the corner and your shutter speed is too slow for the conditions. Nice background blur but if there's body movement you need to up the shutter speed a bit and sacrifice that speed blur.
    Looking at the wheel nuts maybe your pan is a little slow, the top nuts leave more of a trail than the bottom ones which usually means your pan is closer to the speed of the bottom nuts than the top nuts.

Looks like you planned that third shot to cut the bike off along the wheel nuts, concentrating on the rider, but that means one leg is cut off because of where he is in the pedal rotation; a bit earlier or later and you could have got his feet in too with only a little more wheel .
    Nice scenery there I think, and a wider shot with greater DoF would be a good alternative to put him against that great backdrop.

Similar for the next one, where you've just cropped off the bottom of the wheels. Just a personal thing, I like them either close crops or wide enough to have everything in - it feels halfway between to different good shots.
    Is there an opportunity there to shoot slower shutter speed and blur those spokes and tyres a little more? There's no exif information in the images so I can't see what you were using.

That second ute looks much sharper, and I think he's running on a different racing line of the same corner? Background looks similar and road speed and shutter speed combine to give much the same pan effect as before but the body looks much better. Shame about the slight cut off at the back end, it's the penalty you sometimes suffer for trying to give room in front of the car for it to drive into; that means there is much less leeway for error when you're improving the look of the shot that way.

That last one, what can I say? Damned orange jackets and blue wobbly bogs! Those colours are so jarring in that landscape, good DoF and separation from the background, I just with they'd put those portaloos somewhere else and you could have put the cyclist in the left hand 1/3, just him and the guy feeding him would be great without the other distractions.

More, please !
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks Paul for your detailed comments,much appreciated getting these kinds of comments from a pro.I will take these suggestions on board next time i go sports shooting,thanks mate.

very good Thanks Paul for your detailed comments

Thread Information