Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM to shoot surfers?

I will be making a trip to Mexico and basically to shoot some surfers in Baja California.
    First time shooting this kind of sport, can someone help me out on figuring which lens is my best option? I was considering in renting the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM which is 40dls a day.
    what do you think will this lens do the work?

or another option could be 70-200 2.8 IS with a 2X tele?

what would work the best?

thanks.

Re: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM to shoot surfers?

I have both, and I would get better images with my 100-400 rather than the 70-200 with the 2X TC. If you haven't used the 100-400 in the past, the push-pull zoom takes a little getting use to. Changing focal length on the fly is going to take some practice, so if you have limited time and need to get a money shot, then the 70-200 set up may be the way to go.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

You might also want to look at a 300 f/4 and 1.4x TC. That's a pretty good combo when I shoot wildlife and should do well for surfing. You'll get more reach at 420mm too.

It depends on if you plan on using the 100-300 range much.

Quote Originally Posted by cozmocha
    You might also want to look at a 300 f/4 and 1.4x TC. That's a pretty good combo when I shoot wildlife and should do well for surfing. You'll get more reach at 420mm too.

It depends on if you plan on using the 100-300 range much.
    I've done a lot of mountain bike shooting with the 300mm f/4L (non IS) and the original 1.4x tele-extender. I cannot recommend that combo. There's lots of weird haloing and the auto focus is very finicky. I won't use that setup anymore. It's possible that the 300mm f/4L IS and one of the later versions of the 1.4 tele-extender will deliver better results. But all of my photos that I've shot with that combo I consider throwaways.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I use a 300 f/4 IS + 1.4x on a 7D and it can track birds and action crazy fast. With the 1.4x on the 50D is was lacking in AF some but not for me on the 7D.

I use a 300 f/4 IS + 1.4x on a 7D and it can track birds and action crazy fast. With the 1.4x on the 50D is was lacking in AF some but not for me on the 7D.
    Good to know. I always liked my 300mm f/4L on its own. But add the 1.4x tele and it was terrible. I've been wondering if the newer tele-extenders were significantly better. Sounds like they are. That's very good news
    Photo-John

I have not tried the III teles yet but I dont think they would make any changes because the 'chip' in them works only with the new lenses. But I sure can say the 7D + 300 f/4 IS + 1.4x works fine and AF is pretty quick.

I have not tried the III teles yet but I dont think they would make any changes because the 'chip' in them works only with the new lenses. But I sure can say the 7D + 300 f/4 IS + 1.4x works fine and AF is pretty quick.
    I just checked your profile and saw that you haven't posted any reviews. Me thinks you've got experience to share!

Write A Review >>

Thanks in advance for the 7D, 300mm f.4L IS and 1.4x tele reviews
    Photo-John

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Good to know. I always liked my 300mm f/4L on its own. But add the 1.4x tele and it was terrible. I've been wondering if the newer tele-extenders were significantly better. Sounds like they are. That's very good news
    My 300mm f/2.8 with the 1.4x tele still has good AF, but that's on 1D bodies with the cross type centre sensor which may make a difference?
    AF on the 2x converter is good too, but the image quality isn't good enough for large prints.

I'm hoping that the III teles will make a difference because of the optical/coating changes as well as working better with the 70-200 II lens.

Yes once I've got all that kit (and sold two 70-200s) I'll be reviewing it, John
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Trip cancelled!!!!!!!
    Tsunami Advisory Lifted For San Diego County & North Baja California.

Thread Information