Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Camera for sports

I want to buy a DSLR for sports photography. I've done a fair share of research, but i'm still left with 1 question.

Should I buy the Canon T1i\500D+lens OR the Canon 50D and save up for a good lens later?

Thanks for your help, and if I did post in the wrong section please point me to the right one.

Re: Camera for sports

It really depends on what type of sports you are shooting.

For me I started with a good lens first because it would have been impossible for me to shoot football at night without it.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

You haven't answered the questions that we'll ask yet.. what sports, indoors, evening or daytime or shooting a little of everything?

If you're going to be shooting indoors then at least the 50D with it's ISO 3200 (you will need noise reduction, such as Neat Image, but it cleans them up nice.) If you are shooting daytime outdoors, the 50D or better wouldn't be as necessary and you might be able to get away with less of a camera and buy a lens like the Sigma 70-200F2.8 if that's your budget.
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

NSSA/AIPS

I'm in the good lens as soon as possible school of thought as well. Simply because a compromise/poor quality lens will offset any advantage gained by buying the better camera body. I shoot a lot sports and have invested far more in lenses than in my bodies (one digital and one film). I've found (am still finding) ways to make up for it's short comings with post process. As pointed out above there are certain conditions where you can't compromise on either because of the conditions under which one is forced to work.

I would suggest while starting out look into the used listings at reputable dealers such as KEH, B&H or Adorama. You can find good values on older, high quality lenses that may help balance the cost of the better body.
    It's not about the camera....

I am a Nikon guy and just purchased the new Nikon D3s with the 70/200 2.8 lens for sports. I am very pleased with the results so far. Have done 38 Rugby games. I have the photos I took posted: http://www.shutterfly.com/pro/OnTheF...oImages/Sevens

Message me if have any questions. Ron

Thread Information