Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Bowling

Bowling

Sandy & I went out to practice our bowling Saturday and I figured I would try to incorporate some black and white shooting while there. Set up with the 70-200 manual mode/ manual focus on a tripod. Timing was fun to get, remote switch and wait until the pins start falling.
    The folks @ Kenmore Lanes didn't have a problem with me shooting, so all was good.
    Jimmy B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bowling-jdb_1935.jpg   Bowling-jdb_1965.jpg   Bowling-jdb_1969-copy.jpg  

Re: Bowling

Interesting shots Jimmy. Don't think I've seen this done before, looks like fun working on timing. I do find that top portion of each image is a little distracting, might think about a different crop to get rid of it.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thanks OT, I think going vertical next time might help.
    Jimmy B

Well that's different.

I agree with Old Timer that the top is distracting but I like the horizontal composition. I'd just frame it to end right above the "Kenmore Lanes" text. I can see how this would be a fun subject. It's the randomness of it. You never know what you're going to get and the abstract qualities of the flying pins can be really cool. Or suck. But if you keep at it you're bound to get some interesting ones.

Did you try to freeze the pins or was this the fastest you could go? I wonder what would be better - frozen or blurred?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

PJ I don't think I went above 125th. I was pushing ISO boundaries with Mk2N maybe next shoot and with flash?
    One thing I did learn from shooting the B&W in RAW was I can change them to color:-)
    Jimmy B

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I don't think that flash will quite tell the story in the same way.
    That second image, with the left hand pins obviously flying after being hit and the ball beading for the right, just looks like an excellent piece of bowling.
    I've only been bowling three times ever and I can see the story there.

I agree on cropping out the top above the Kenmore Lane sign, and would have shot it just a little more to the right to take out the join in the sign between lanes 42 and 43, and to give the words a little room to breathe.

I want to see more of this.

I wonder with flash if you can use the strobe feature, at maybe 10Hz, and a long exposure to show the path of each pin as it flies in a succession of overlaid flash images?
    You can see a little of what I mean in the first image, where the fast moving pin has left multiple images from the 60Hz flashes of the fluorescent light - left hand side spinning almost horizontally.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information