Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Blue Angels / Airshow

Last Saturday, the city of Tuscaloosa hosted a free airshow at their airport, and the Blue Angels were the headliners on a long list of great airshow pilots and planes. The weather was absolutely superb - low 70s and literally 0 wind, so the turnout was absolutely insane. I'd estimate there were at least 50,000 people out there, dead minimum.

The set up was great for photography - the skies were deep blue and partly cloudy, the spectators were setup on the West side of the runway, and the Blue Angels performed at about 4pm. So we got perfectly lit planes against perfect backgrounds.

This is a *small portion* of the crowd in this section of the airport. It wrapped back behind me for about 1/4mi, and further past this shot about the same distance. About as many people set up in the fields around the airport.

In case you forgot, this is Alabama... rednecks abound.

A-10 Warthog

Warbirds, 50yrs apart. AT-6 Texan and F/A-18 Hornet.

P-51Ds

Static P-51D

B-25

Watching the Golden Knights skydiving

Blue Angels...

One of several head-on passes; 1,000mph closing speed

A local lab / camera store was having a $1.00 16x20 poster print promo, so I printed the attached shot below. I walked in to pick it up this afternoon, told the lab guy my name and he said "Oooh, you had the one of the planes. That shot was awesome! What lens did you use?" You gotta love hearing that from an old lab guy! And it was shot with the 70-200 F/4L, of course....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Angels / Airshow-img_6448.jpg  
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Re: Blue Angels / Airshow

Love the poster shot along with the P51's (my all time favorite plane). That sofa would be deluxe accomodations at Talladega!

Nice stuff Brad, the Blue Angels come to Seattle every year for the hydro races. I used to get on the roof at work and get some shots by Boeing Field. I never went to the hydro races for the air show? One of these years.
    Jimmy

Nice series Brad, airshows usually mean photo opportunities, and I think you have a good selection here. The B-25 Mitchell bomber looks good in b&w. The Blue Angels always put on an exciting show as depicted in your fine photos - thanks for sharing ! :thumbsup:
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

Nice post brmill26. Very excited to go in airshow with my family. We'll get some pictures.

Thread Information