Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Best Practices - Outdoor Metering

As the fall sports season kicks into high gear, I wanted to start a discussion about the best practices for getting correct exposure. I was reading something on SportsShooter.Com on how to get the most correct exposures and was wondering if anyone else had a method to do metering.

The method suggested on the SportShooter.Com site was, when shooting into the sun, set your camera to manual mode and do test shots on a neutral object like the grass to test for exposure. What about methods for shooting with the sun at your back?
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Re: Best Practices - Outdoor Metering

I think that most good pro sports shooters use Manual mode all the time to get the best exposure. I do, and I also change WB, ISO etc to get the shots the way I need or want them.

As for the sun though, I try never to shoot towards the sun, even if it means being on opposing sideline. In most cases they don't care, as long as they get a player or two in a shot.

JS

Thread Information