Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Basketball season ends well for Butte College

The Butte College Roadrunners coasted to an easy 70-38 win in their last home game of the basketball season. The Butte contingent never trailed, and they were already ahead 36-15 at halftime. Attached are some shots of the victorious players in action.

All shots were taken with Nikon D700 + 50 mm. f/1.8 at 1/500, f/2.8, and ISO 3200.

Comments are welcome.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Basketball season ends well for Butte College-7rb_3947_2.jpg   Basketball season ends well for Butte College-7rb_4118_2.jpg   Basketball season ends well for Butte College-7rb_4159_2.jpg   Basketball season ends well for Butte College-7rb_4203_2.jpg   Basketball season ends well for Butte College-7rb_4247_2.jpg  

Re: Basketball season ends well for Butte College

The shots look a little odd. They seem over sharpened. Also, where are you standing? you seem to be standing right under the net. Is it possible to sit down and slightly to the right of the net( right meaning as you face the rest of the court). You will get better shots if you can.
    Shal

Shal,

For all of these shots I was standing in back of the baseline behind the backboard. I have found that this location is by far the best one for shooting basketball action. Another plus is the fact that the refs don’t linger in this area, so there’s much less chance of a ref’s backside showing up in my images! My position varies somewhat. Usually I am standing in the position you suggest, namely, a bit to the right of the net as I am facing the court. Sometimes I stand directly behind the net but much less often a bit to the left.

I never sit, because sometimes it is necessary for me to scoot out of the way quickly if a player comes charging in my direction. So far I have been sufficiently fleet of foot to be able to successfully dodge these occasional charges and thus avoid any damage to the old bod. As a senior citizen I want to avoid being slammed into the wall! If I were sitting it’s likely that I would not be able to get out of the way in time to avoid a collision.

I’m scratching my head as to why these images would look a “little odd” and seem over-sharpened. I take pains to avoid over-sharpening, and they don’t appear over-sharpened on my monitor.

Bob

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Nope they don´t look over sharpened, they were sharp when shot I reckon!
    #3 is particularly good.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by Bob32 View Post
    Shal,

For all of these shots I was standing in back of the baseline behind the backboard. I have found that this location is by far the best one for shooting basketball action. Another plus is the fact that the refs don’t linger in this area, so there’s much less chance of a ref’s backside showing up in my images! My position varies somewhat. Usually I am standing in the position you suggest, namely, a bit to the right of the net as I am facing the court. Sometimes I stand directly behind the net but much less often a bit to the left.

I never sit, because sometimes it is necessary for me to scoot out of the way quickly if a player comes charging in my direction. So far I have been sufficiently fleet of foot to be able to successfully dodge these occasional charges and thus avoid any damage to the old bod. As a senior citizen I want to avoid being slammed into the wall! If I were sitting it’s likely that I would not be able to get out of the way in time to avoid a collision.

I’m scratching my head as to why these images would look a “little odd” and seem over-sharpened. I take pains to avoid over-sharpening, and they don’t appear over-sharpened on my monitor.

Bob
    I don't know how to describe it. I checked on 2 other monitors. When you look at the head of the player in #2 it looks like he was cut out and pasted in. That's the only way I can articulate what I see.
    Shal

This is to confirm that all of these images were in focus when shot and that I did not have to resort to any extreme sharpening procedures to render them visually sharp. I can also assure viewers that the head of player #14 in photo #2 was not a cut out that was pasted in. The head shown was attached to the body of player #14 and did not have to be imported from an outside source! The sharpening procedures employed were the ones I normally use and consisted of 1) capture sharpening of the RAW files in Adobe Camera Raw and 2) luminosity sharpening after downsizing the resulting TIFF files for subsequent uploading of JPEGs to the forum.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob32 View Post
    This is to confirm that all of these images were in focus when shot and that I did not have to resort to any extreme sharpening procedures to render them visually sharp. I can also assure viewers that the head of player #14 in photo #2 was not a cut out that was pasted in. The head shown was attached to the body of player #14 and did not have to be imported from an outside source! The sharpening procedures employed were the ones I normally use and consisted of 1) capture sharpening of the RAW files in Adobe Camera Raw and 2) luminosity sharpening after downsizing the resulting TIFF files for subsequent uploading of JPEGs to the forum.

Bob
    I think you misunderstood. I was not insinuating that you did anything of the sort. Just letting you know how it appears on my screen.Maybe it's the way they are back lit or something. It was not an accusation.
    Shal

Shal,

Thanks for the clarification.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob32; 02-25-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Message didn't print out initially.

Photo Moron PM

great stuff way better than mine

"I'm just an ATM machine"

Photo Moron PM

Photo Moron PM

canon 40D
    2.8 70-200
    iso 1600

Quote Originally Posted by burnet44 View Post

Straightening, cropping, white balance adjustment, and exposure adjustment plus some other fine tuning might be able to rescue this image.

Bob

Thread Information