Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Autocross

Autocross

Continuing to break up the team sports theme - not that I don't like those photos, guys - I finally got a chance to put your racing/panning tips into action. Not that the panning was too hard; speeds are pretty low in Auto-X and with the 50mm you're not super tight. I also put the focus on the * button and used the AI Servo, both of which worked extremely well. The 50mm did fine tracking on pans, but wasn't quite fast enough if a car was coming straight towards me. Overall, though, it yielded probably 98% usable results and maybe 60% or so very sharp. Taking my mistakes into account with the ability of this lens, I'm extremely pleased.

Here are a couple I picked from a lot of good ones. First, a Lotus Exige on full slicks. It was easily the fastest car at the event (among many very good cars). Second, Mustangs don't usually do so well in Auto-X, but this guy was doing quite well. Third, the driver of this S2000 on slicks was very fun to watch, pushing hard every lap, as you can see (that's a right hand turn!). The last one is a chicane at the end of a 60mph straight - he didn't get it slowed down enough, and the driver's face right b/f taking out the cones was priceless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Autocross-lotus.jpg   Autocross-mustang.jpg   Autocross-s2ksideways.jpg   Autocross-s2k.jpg   Autocross-s2kface.jpg  

Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: Autocross

I'll bet that driver was glad he hit some cones & nothing else

It looks like you nailed the pan in the 1st & 2nd image.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Thread Information