Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Amateur

Australian Football

Some photos from the "NAB Cup" the pre-season competition for the Australian Football League

Bit different from the normal stuff, where 3 teams play on 1 night, each team playing 2 "mini games" against the other teams

These photos from St Kilda, Sydney and Geelong teams

Gallery here

mattyj
    Canon 650D - Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8, Canon 50mm F/1.8, Sigma 50-500mm F/5-6.3
    http://www.pbase.com/mattyjsmith

Re: Australian Football

Only real men play that sport. Great action shots. Thanks for sharing them on PR.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Mattyj,

Is this a form of rugby? It looks a lot like rugby from here. I like the action you caught. The images are cropped very tight, but some pro photogs like it that way! I'd suggest cropping #1 as a vertical.

I'm viewing these on somebody else's calibrated monitor where all the images appear under-exposed.

Per the EXIF data for the images:

1. SS: 1/332 - 1/395
    2. f-stop: f/4 - f/5.6
    3. ISO: 400 - 800

I suggest shooting action like this at no slower than 1/500 to avoid blurred motion. I suspect that your lens is a variable aperture 70-300, so you're probably stuck at f/5.6 at the longer telephoto settings. Your camera is rated at an upper ISO value of 1600. You might consider allowing the ISO to float up to 1600 if necessary to obtain correct exposure. Noise can be a problem in under-exposed images. I am not familiar with the particulars of your camera and lens, so some of the foregoing may not apply to your situation.

Bob

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Only real men play that sport. Great action shots. Thanks for sharing them on PR.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob32 View Post
    Mattyj,

Is this a form of rugby? It looks a lot like rugby from here. I like the action you caught. The images are cropped very tight, but some pro photogs like it that way! I'd suggest cropping #1 as a vertical.

I'm viewing these on somebody else's calibrated monitor where all the images appear under-exposed.

Per the EXIF data for the images:

1. SS: 1/332 - 1/395
    2. f-stop: f/4 - f/5.6
    3. ISO: 400 - 800

I suggest shooting action like this at no slower than 1/500 to avoid blurred motion. I suspect that your lens is a variable aperture 70-300, so you're probably stuck at f/5.6 at the longer telephoto settings. Your camera is rated at an upper ISO value of 1600. You might consider allowing the ISO to float up to 1600 if necessary to obtain correct exposure. Noise can be a problem in under-exposed images. I am not familiar with the particulars of your camera and lens, so some of the foregoing may not apply to your situation.

Bob
    Hi Bob

Thank you for the tips, its always appreciated as im strictly an amateur

I was using a Canon 1000D with the kit 70-300mm lens, so yeh, f/5.6 is the best it can do at the longest telephoto

Upping the ISO to 1600 tends to introduce a fair bit of noise unfortunately

Australian Football is different to rugby, i dont know if youve ever seen Gaelic Football from ireland, but thats the most similar game to it
    Australian rules football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the wiki link has some more info on it
    mattyj
    Canon 650D - Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8, Canon 50mm F/1.8, Sigma 50-500mm F/5-6.3
    http://www.pbase.com/mattyjsmith

mattyj,

I'm not surprised to hear that noise tears its ugly head when you max out at ISO 1600. A good noise reduction program helps in those situations. I use Noise Ninja which does a good job. There are others that also work well.

That's a sizeable stadium. In Melbourne perhaps?

My mother-in-law was from Walhalla, an old gold mining town located between Buchan and Melbourne.

Bob

Thread Information