Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Another Day with Track and Field

I got an extra meet that I didn't think we were going to have yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny day, which meant I was fighting harsh sun and shadow all afternoon. I tried a few different angles and even a pan shot. I'm very interested in your comments on these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Day with Track and Field-dsc_7653-2-640.jpg   Another Day with Track and Field-dsc_7571-2-640.jpg   Another Day with Track and Field-dsc_7667-2-640.jpg   Another Day with Track and Field-dsc_7617-2-640.jpg   Another Day with Track and Field-dsc_7624-2-640.jpg  

Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Another Day with Track and Field

I couldn't get the hurdle pan to load than realized I hadn't resized it. I'll throw in a couple more since I'm reposting anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Day with Track and Field-dsc_7496-3-640.jpg   Another Day with Track and Field-dsc_2170-2-640.jpg   Another Day with Track and Field-dsc_2134-2-640.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

nice OT....I like the blurr on the hurdle pan too!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

very nice OT, these are very good. I love that #1 shot, the vault against the blue. #2 is backfocused on the runner on the left in the blue (just held the blocks?) Overall the angles are very nice though, getting nice and low is a great and easy way to make your images look better. The pan is a good try but it's not all that sharp, and the backlighting washes out some of the color. It's tough to pan really well without IS or VR lenses, that's for sure. Especially in track where it really depends on the runner's/hurdlers style and body movement.

Thanks for the comments and observations Brent. I was aware of some issues with a couple of these but decided to post anyway because I was trying some things that were a little different for me and might be of help to some others. the pole vault shot I thought came out very well. I got to the pit at the end of the vault competition and only got to shot this one jump. I'm very glad I got it dialed in on the first and only jump I go to shot that day.

Nikon Samurai #13

Hey OT, if your not doing anything the next two Thursdays I have two HUGE track meets to shoot I know these will take hours to shoot, ones the sectional and the other the regional. I shot the boys conference last night, there were two pole vaulters left going when everyone else was done, for 45 minutes they were tied. I finally finished everything at 2am...... and was up at 7am to head off to the race track, thats two days this week I had late nights due to track.
    Tomorrow will tough as well, at the track at 7am, and then as soon as qualifying ends at 6pm I have to head straight downtown to shoot a prom with 450 kids present. I can figure on working from 7am to midnight....then post shoot work will take 4-5 hours....

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Hey OT, if your not doing anything the next two Thursdays I have two HUGE track meets to shoot I know these will take hours to shoot, ones the sectional and the other the regional. I shot the boys conference last night, there were two pole vaulters left going when everyone else was done, for 45 minutes they were tied. I finally finished everything at 2am...... and was up at 7am to head off to the race track, thats two days this week I had late nights due to track.
    Tomorrow will tough as well, at the track at 7am, and then as soon as qualifying ends at 6pm I have to head straight downtown to shoot a prom with 450 kids present. I can figure on working from 7am to midnight....then post shoot work will take 4-5 hours....

JS
    Sounds like a lot of fun JS. If it were any day but Thursday I might just take you up on it. I think your only about 41/2 hours away or so. This time of year things can really pile up fast. Better than sitting at home wondering were the next pay check is coming form though.

Nikon Samurai #13

Hey, I had to try OT

Yeah, but it's all hitting in one month. I will even work Memorial day....have for 6 years now....oh well.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

You know if you had said I can get you creds for the 500 I might have been tempted even more. Oh well....

Nikon Samurai #13

Great shots OT. I'm loving the first one and the angle of the 5th one.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    You know if you had said I can get you creds for the 500 I might have been tempted even more. Oh well....
    hmmmm, well maybe next year OT, at this point it's a bit late ..... and I have given the guy in charge of that enough to do this year

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information