Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

1st Time Covering HS Football...

Hello all.

I requested and was granted access to photograph the local high school football team this season. My plan is to sell images via my Zenfolio site (photos, digital downloads etc). I know it’s not the best method to sell images, but I don’t have the resources to sell at the game.

I have insurance (liability) for me and my gear just in case there’s and accident and someone gets hurt; so that’s covered.

I’ve photographed LL games, but I know this is a world different – larger, faster kids more and faster action and bigger kids. With that said, can anyone give me some pointers on what to expect, what to look out for, what pitfall to lookout for and/or avoid etc.? Basically, throw all your advice at me. My ears and eyes are open.

The equipment I will be using is:
    1D4 - 300 2.8
    1D3 - 70-200 2.8

Thanks…Al
    A few camera bodies and some lenses.

Re: 1st Time Covering HS Football...

There are a few high school shooters here, although I am not one of them. Looks like you've got the best equipment possible. The biggest issue I see with high school foot ball photos is the lighting. It's terrible so you have to shoot at high ISO to get sharp photos. Hopefully one of the experts here will share some of their experience. In the meantime, if you haven't already, I'd recommend going through this forum and checking the football photo posts for technical details. It's just getting started this year so using the advanced search and looking at posts from last fall might work better.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hope you enjoy your first experience on the football sideline. The biggest thing to keep in mind is these kids are big and strong and they move fast. If you're on the side line and looking at the action thru a long lens they can be on top of you in no time flat. I'm willing to bet that all of us have been bowled over at least once. Just ask Julie about her broken leg a couple of years ago on the HS sidelines in Seattle. I took a hard one three years ago but kept the Nikon in the air and out of harm's way. As far as shooting tips it's pretty standard, use that f2.8 lens and as high shutter speed as your field lights will allow, hopefully no lower than 1/500 to stop most of the action. With the new Nikons a high ISO of 3200 to 4000 should still give you very sellable images. I generally try to stay in front of the action with a 300mm f2.8 and work about 20 yards ahead of the line of scrimmage. This generally will give you a good full frame of the back coming through the line of the QB throwing the ball. Were you'll run into problems is with a pass play down field on your side of field, they are right on top of you. If your shooting with two cameras that a quick switch to the second with a short lens is the way to go but it takes being quick and that primary camera with the 300mm is a bear to handle while trying to get the second into action. Hope this helps a bit, good luck with you first Friday Night Lights experience.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Sorry of the delayed response I was away.

Thanks for the tips. One thing I may have in my favor is one of the coaches told me they have to play on Saturdays. I don't know if that's 100% true or not, but it would be good for a 1st timer. I will keep my peepers open for those big guys. I know it will be world of difference than shooting LL guys.

I will search this forum to see what I get.

Again thanks

The season has been good as far as shooting the games, but not a lot of orders, but I expected that.

They made the playoffs for only the 2nd time in school history - happy for the kids.

Thanks for the help.

Al
    Last edited by Methodical; 11-08-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Let's see some shots.

Love to see a few of you shots. Post them up. I shoot for the fun of it and hope to generate a few sales, sometimes I do and other not.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Thread Information