Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Question safe sync for a700

Hi I need help for my camera. We are about to shoot chrome + strobes in my commercial photography class and I will need to use my alpha as a proofing device for the 4x5 camera, cause film is expensive. I need a safe sync for the 700 but have no idea which one to get. It also needs to be affordable cause there’s not allot I can spend right now. He also said another option is some sort of pc cable but I don’t know about compatibility issues. Wished I could ask him in more detail but I don’t think his familiar with sony

Thanks
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Re: safe sync for a700

I'm not sure what "safe sync" is, but the A700 has a standard pc jack on the side of the body that should work with just about any light kit.

As far as radio tirggers, the cheap ebay ones are cheap if your are willing to live with occasional misfires, cybersynchs are a bit more money, but I've read they are very reliable (It's on my next to get list). You need either an FS-1100 or FS-1200 to mount the transmitter onto the sony/minolta hot shoe. I don't remember which one, one's for the body, the other is for the flash. The one for the body is easy to find, the one for the flash isn't so easy, but they pop up on ebay from time to time.

BM
    Sony A700
    Sony CZ 16-80 F3.5-4.5
    Sony 50 F1.4
    Minolta 70-210 F4
    Sony F56-AM Flash

I you are asking about a hot shoe adapter (Sony/Minolta to ISO) that has high voltage protection circuitry for use with older flash devices, search ebay (or Google) for Seagull SC-6. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Safe sync I think is to prevent the dslr camera from blowing up from a electrical back fire. I need something that will allow me to fire flash safely when I push the shutter release button.
    I think a pc chord wire thing will do the same thing right? And if I go with the wire option rather than the wireless module I wouldn’t need to worry about getting a receiver, am I correct? I would just plug the wire from my camera to the pack and that’s it, I hope this would be a safe option.

Or would I need both the safe sync that goes on the hot shoe and the wire?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m a bit confused on how this whole thing would set up and what I would need.

I will look on ebay for those hot shoe adapters.
    -

I think something like this but cheeper.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665199970

I think the ones you guys mentioned are basically the same thing. Theres a port on the side, I guess thats where the pc chord wire goes. Will any pc chord wire plug into that port and be easily conected to a external strobe pack?
    Last edited by LightBright; 05-08-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    -

Well, a wireless setup won't cause any kind of electrical backfire frying your body, but I don't know about the pc cord. But, the pc cord will be your cheapest most reliable option. The ebay triggers may be a bit cheaper (depending how long of a cord you need) but don't fire 100% of the time.

I don't know about your lights, but some lights have a headphone jack instead of a pc cord socket, so that my also require purchasing some sort of adapter.

BM
    Sony A700
    Sony CZ 16-80 F3.5-4.5
    Sony 50 F1.4
    Minolta 70-210 F4
    Sony F56-AM Flash

Thanks.

I will be useing dynalite packs, and I found a 3 prong adapter for the pack and a plug for the safe sync.
    -

Thread Information