Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: New Sony SLR's

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

New Sony SLR's

Hey everybody,

If you haven't heard Sony announced two new SLR's at PMA. a mid-range camera due to be released later this year, and a pro-level body. Also more lenses including an 24-70 f/2.8, 70-300, and 18-250.

I found this link on another site:
    http://thephotostation.net/photopost...y.php/cat/9757

Re: New Sony SLR's

Thanks for the link, looks like they're serious. Anyone wanna contribute to my new "alpha flagship fund"? I got plenty of time, gotta learn to use the a100 first!

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /photopost/showgallery.php/cat/9757 on this server.
    Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.thephotostation.net Port 80
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I guess they were getting too much traffic or something... I found images elsewhere:

Pro-level:

mid-range:

This is really encouraging. While Canikon users may not really care, AT THE MOMENT, I think executives at either company may feel a little flutter. Sure, Sony may not be up there in the short term, but with their resources (have a look at most Television camera equipment. At least here in Australia, they certainly nearly all appear to be Sony) & their marketing, I think they may be a force in the future.

While for me, as a mid level amature, I wont be upgrading to either in the near future at least, but now I feel satisfied that I have a defined upgrade path when I am ready. I just hope they dont go silly with pricing (In Australia, Sony seems to command a higher price, just because it is Sony)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffy
    ...but now I feel satisfied that I have a defined upgrade path when I am ready. I just hope they dont go silly with pricing (In Australia, Sony seems to command a higher price, just because it is Sony)

Yeah I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon since my a100 is still practically new. If I happen to stumble across a few grand I won't hesitate though. Unfortunately, Sony commands a higher price pretty much everywhere (just because it's Sony). Oh well. Win some, lose some. The good thing is that their prices have gone down and are now more reasonable. This is good if they want to really be competitive with Canon and Nikon.

Here is the coverage on Photographyreview.com

http://www.photographyreview.com/BLG_30534crx.aspx

With a full size sensor, a Zeiss t* 80mm 1.4 lens, depth of field preview, an extremely bright viewfinder, higher dynamic range, higher speed shooting and other interesting features the Alpha flagship model will certainly be competitive with the top Canon models.

Ronnoco
    Last edited by Ronnoco; 03-10-2007 at 01:40 PM.
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    With a full size sensor, a Zeiss t* 80mm 1.4 lens, depth of field preview, an extremely bright viewfinder, higher dynamic range, higher speed shooting and other interesting features the Alpha flagship model will certainly be competitive with the top Canon models.

Ronnoco
    Where did you get the bit about the full size sensor? I was at the press conference and they didn't say anything about it there. In fact, they didn't say much about the new cameras at all, except that they planned them and one was to be delivered sometime before the end of 2007.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffy
    This is really encouraging. While Canikon users may not really care, AT THE MOMENT, I think executives at either company may feel a little flutter. Sure, Sony may not be up there in the short term, but with their resources (have a look at most Television camera equipment. At least here in Australia, they certainly nearly all appear to be Sony) & their marketing, I think they may be a force in the future.
    I'm sorry, but they will never be anything but second tier, not in this lifetime anyway. Look at Pentax, an actual camera company for crying out loud, or Olympus. Both are on similar tracks to Sony, a company which only really took over the KM camera business, which by the way was in just the same position as all the other second tier brands are in. Lets be honest, NOBODY is about to push Canon or Nikon out of the top spot. It's just a fantasy. I know it's tempting to dream that your brand is going to make big waves, and maybe even threaten the big 2, but it just isn't about to happen. Nikon and Canon may overtake each other every other year, but no one is going to over take them.

But then again, who really cares? Most of the second tier brands are in pretty good positions, and won't be going away anytime soon. Being in this positions gives them a bit more room to explore new possibilities. Canons and Nikons are pretty much all clones of each other. Look at Olympus, all of their boides are different, and not just a little different, way different. As an Olympus user I am not worried at all. Oly just introduced 3 new cameras, all with in camera sensor stabilization, live view, and their exclusive Sonic wave filter, and they are about to bring out a new pro body which will feature all this aswell. I think if anyone is about to rock the photo world Olympus is on track, but it still won't move Nikon or Canon, not an inch.
    Last edited by almo; 03-14-2007 at 11:05 PM.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    I'm sorry, but they will never be anything but second tier, not in this lifetime anyway. Look at Pentax, an actual camera company for crying out loud, or Olympus. Both are on similar tracks to Sony, a company which only really took over the KM camera business, which by the way was in just the same position as all the other second tier brands are in. Lets be honest, NOBODY is about to push Canon or Nikon out of the top spot. It's just a fantasy. I know it's tempting to dream that your brand is going to make big waves, and maybe even threaten the big 2, but it just isn't about to happen. Nikon and Canon may overtake each other every other year, but no one is going to over take them.

But then again, who really cares? Most of the second tier brands are in pretty good positions, and won't be going away anytime soon. Being in this positions gives them a bit more room to explore new possibilities. Canons and Nikons are pretty much all clones of each other. Look at Olympus, all of their boides are different, and not just a little different, way different. As an Olympus user I am not worried at all. Oly just introduced 3 new cameras, all with in camera sensor stabilization, live view, and their exclusive Sonic wave filter, and they are about to bring out a new pro body which will feature all this aswell. I think if anyone is about to rock the photo world Olympus is on track, but it still won't move Nikon or Canon, not an inch.
    John-
    I disagree with just about everything you've said here.

Canon is so far ahead of everyone right now, business-wise, that as long as they don't drop the ball, they will continue to dominate. They are first in DSLR sales and compact digital camera sales and have been for quite some time now. They claim to have 85% of the digital SLR marketshare. That's crazy. And this year they're raising the stakes by increasing their R&D budget. As far as business goes, Nikon isn't really in the game. And Sony is. Sony has way more resources than Nikon and is a real threat to anyone and everyone. I believed the Alpha was significant because it showed how serious Sony is and that they can follow through and make a serious digital SLR. The two concept cameras they showed at PMA demonstrate that they continue to be serious and show where they plan to go with it - to the top. And Sony reaches a market that Canon and Nikon don't reach as well - the pure consumer, TV-buying public. There are lots of people out there who will buy anything Sony sells. Some of these people probably wouldn't even consider buying a digital SLR. But now that Sony sells one they will...

As far as Pentax goes - you may not remember, but not so long ago, they were one of the top players. In the eighties, they were making some of the sweetest and most advanced SLRs available. And I think they're on the move again. The K10D made a huge statement and is a definite contender. Pentax is sporting a new attitude and I have no doubt it's due to the success of the K10D. If I remember right, they were third in digital SLR sales last year, too - behind Nikon and Canon. Sure, Olympus is making good stuff. But right now, they're the company that has to play catchup. No matter how good the cameras they put out are, or how useful the Four Thirds System is, until they deliver another pro body, that's all anyone in the business can see. For Olympus the E-1 replacement must be the top priority - and it better be good. Because the people who have been waiting for it are running out of patience and there's lots of other good stuff to be had right now.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or tell you your camera is no good. You know I like the Four Thirds System a lot. But I have a different view of what's going on and thought I should share it.
    Photo-John

And On The Other Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    John-
    I disagree with just about everything you've said here.
    PJ - You're such a know-it-all insider a#%^R&. What about this, huh?

Olympus Wins 3 DIMA Awards >>

Are we getting way off-topic here? Someone ban me!
    Photo-John

Well I was kind of shocked too, and thought the same as you John while I was reading John's comments.

I simply didn't expect that opinion, and it's possible he could be right about some parts of it... but im not so sure.

My say is that I have started with Sony Cameras, I have watched with scrutiny every move they have made, and can say unequiviobacallay (hehe) and have said, they are on the move. Sony is not only a financial powerhouse, they have a japanese business philosophy par none. It works. They probably make the best product for the best price. They seem to be making slow but steady strides, without compromising thier reputation. If they make a semi pro and a pro model that lives up to thier reputation, and mix those cameras with the new Zeiss glass coming out, you are going to succeed. I think 08' is going to be a huge year for Sony. 07' really was. It's funny too, those Minolta users who have been so worried about Sony for the last year taking this merger seriously, i've been telling them to be patient because Sony is going to blow them away. Sony has also been an innovator in this industry, not nearly as innovative as some companys have been as far as experimentation, but in bringing a state of the art product that best's its competition, before they can match.

Carl
    My 'new' signature:

Stay focused.
    www.photographic-central.blogspot.com

My old signature:

"Experience, is the reward worth living for"
    www.AlphaMountWorld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Where did you get the bit about the full size sensor? I was at the press conference and they didn't say anything about it there. In fact, they didn't say much about the new cameras at all, except that they planned them and one was to be delivered sometime before the end of 2007.
    Come on, John. You have a good eye. The photos show one of the new alphas with an 85mm 1.4 prime lens. Now, IF it were a 1.5 size sensor, that would mean the equivalent 35mm size would be about 123mm.

Hopefully you have good business sense. Can you explain to me, why a camera manufacturer such as Sony would sell a 1.5 size sensor on a camera with a 123mm kit lens? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Not at all possible or likely! The only answer is that it MUST be a full size sensor.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

Did you also notice the depth of field preview button on one of the new Alphas?

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Iron Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Come on, John. You have a good eye. The photos show one of the new alphas with an 85mm 1.4 prime lens. Now, IF it were a 1.5 size sensor, that would mean the equivalent 35mm size would be about 123mm.

Hopefully you have good business sense. Can you explain to me, why a camera manufacturer such as Sony would sell a 1.5 size sensor on a camera with a 123mm kit lens? It makes no sense whatsoever.

Not at all possible or likely! The only answer is that it MUST be a full size sensor.

Ronnoco
    why exactly do you think that that is a "kit" lens?
    Canon XTi
    Tamron 17-50mm
    Nifty Fifty 1.8

It's not very often that I come back to rethink my position on something such as the comments I made about the current state of the DSLR market. But after reading the responses here to what I had to say on the subject I set out to re-educate myself on this tricky little issue.

I have reached the conclusion that my former opinion ( and let me be clear that an opinion is all it was intended as ), was based on a somewhat dated knowledge base of information. Not to say that I have been unaware of the advances of technology in the market, but my opinion of the market itself was based more on what I knew when I entered the digital fray in 2004. Things it would appear have changed even more than I had realized. The 2nd teir brands have more of a foot in the preverbal door than I had believed. Sure I made the swith to 4/3s, but I was not ultra heavily invested in Canon when I did. However, when you take into consideration the VAST, and by myself, largly ignored "New User" component a completely different picture begins to unfold.

This is where I feel I messed up with my prevous statements. I still believe that Canon and Nikon's death grip on the market will continue into the future, but it may not be as solid as I once thought. Sony, and Pentax, and even Olympus have some real threats out there. More so than I had realized before. With Sony's resources it may not be very long before we are looking at a "Top 3" market rather than the "Top 2" we now have.

Personally I wish them much luck. I have not much faith in the products from Sony, but that stems from the use of their other products, and is more of a personal issue. I am personally very excited and intent on seeing where Pentax is headed. Only time will tell.

At any rate, I suppose it's time that I joined 2007...:blush2::thumbsup:
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Nice!

It takes a confident person to really reconsider their position. I'm impressed.

I think that everyone is doing interesting stuff right now. I agree that Nikon and Canon still own the market - well, Canon does. But all of the manufacturers are putting out good stuff. I was disappointed that Olympus didn't have an E-1 replacement at the show. But after seeing the DIMA award they got and rethinking my position, I think they're also in the game. Even the Samsung DSLRs are worth checking out right now! It's an interesting time to be into camera equipment for sure.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by dante
    why exactly do you think that that is a "kit" lens?
    A kit lens is simply the lens that they sell the camera with. Obviously they would not be showing the camera with a 85mm 1.4 lens unless that was the lens that they sell the camera included with.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Thread Information