Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New here and need help on indoor photography

Hi, I was just at my daughters cheer compeition today!! It came out horrible. I didnt have my reg lens which was what came with the sony dslr a100 camera. I have the 70mm to 200 mm lens but it was auto. I dont have any other lens. What settings should i have it on for indoor sport photography. I think i should of had my shutter speed higher too. Im new to this camera Never had an slr before either. Please help me. I have a double compeition next Saturday and Sunday dec. 9th and 10th. Thanks for all the help I can get!!!

Marcie

Re: New here and need help on indoor photography

You'll have to bump your ISo up to 800, possibly 1600. Although most will tell you the kit lens is too slow, I have shot concerts at 5.6 with success. Which 70-200 lens are you refferring too?

If you can get close enough, you may be able to find a good 50 1.7 for under $100.

Hi, I wont be able to get close enough. Im willing to spend over a $100 for a good manual/auto lens. Would any of u know or give me type of lens to look at. I am really clueless when it comes to finding a good lens.

Thanks,
    Marcie

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Well, if you're talking fast lenses, especially zooms, your talking several hundred dollars. You could give the 70-210 f/4 a shot, and it can be had on ebay for less than $200.

how is this type of lens!!!

70-300mm f4-5.6 LD AF Zoom Lens f/ Sony Alpha or Maxxum

Thanks for helping me!!!!

Marcie

The 70-300mm is okay for outdoor sports where you have a lot of light. For indoor this lens will hunt in autofocus and is too slow to give you the shutter speeds you need. What you want to look for is a lens with a wider maximum aperature, but like I said this also means more $$$. So it really comes down to what you are willing to spend. If you search hard enough on internet auction sites and better yet local camera stores you can get some good deals on used lenes. But this can also take a lot of effort and time.

Oh boy!!!! now im not too happy!!!! I got this camera couple of months ago and they told me it works great for indoors. Now i realize i prob need an expensive lens for this camera. Not a happy camper here!!! Thanks for all the help!!!

Marcie

Quote Originally Posted by Marcie
    Oh boy!!!! now im not too happy!!!! I got this camera couple of months ago and they told me it works great for indoors. Now i realize i prob need an expensive lens for this camera. Not a happy camper here!!! Thanks for all the help!!!

Marcie
    It does have the advantage of built in stabilization. Currently only Sony and Pentax have this in their SLR's. With other manufacturers you have to buy the expensive lenses with stabilization. With Sony and Pentax any lens you put on them gets the benefit of stabilization. This is why they told you it would work good for indoors.

While this gives you a one up to start with, it doesn't negate the benefits of having a fast lens. It's kinda like buying a Ferrari and then filling up on 87 octane. Yeah a Ferrari is a one-up to begin with, but it's not going to net you the same as a Ferrari on premium or race gas. I dunno if that was the perfect analogy, but that's what I came up with.

Like another poster said, you'll have to go up to ISO 800 or 1600 depending on the light. I also mentioned the beautiful constant aperature Minolta 70-210mm f/4. That lens goes for $200 max and will focus much better in low light and allow you faster shutter speeds than the 70-300mm f/4-5.6.

HI, I am willing to spend $200 on the lens u mentioned above. If you have any ideas where I can look please email me at mardeu@odz-n-enz.net if you dont want to post here. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Marcie

HI, I am willing to spend $200 on the lens u mentioned above. If you have any ideas where I can look please email me at mardeu@odz-n-enz.net if you dont want to post here. Thanks a bunch!!!!

Marcie
    Marcie,

Sorry to hear that you have to spend more on a lens. Just think of the lens as Jewelry. They don't lose their value as much. I bought my Minolta Lens 70-210 F4 on ebay a month ago. Becareful you don't buy the wrong kind their a many different kind that kinda look the same.

I can't be sure this (70-210 F4) lens will solve your problem, it really depends on how much light there is.

So look for exactly Minolta lens 70-210 F4(not F4.5/5-6) . These lens are actually going up in price so get it soon. This lens is 20 something years old, but it's a great lens. Also, make sure you get one with a lens hood. I got mine and was disappointed because I didn't get a lens hood. Also bid last 5 minute so other bidder don't have time to respond or out bid you. Don't buy anything outside the country and only use paypal to pay.

Good luck,
    Matt

Ebay and keh.com are good sources for the Minolta 70-210 f/4. It is also known as the "beercan" as it is roughly the same size as a large can of beer. For more information on this and other lenses, be sure to check out the reviews on this site. Also for a reference specific to the Minolta / Konica-Minolta / Sony A-mount check out dyxym.com as they have info and user reviews for every lens ever made for the A-mount.

Ok ive been looking on ebay now!! a little confused but I do see some of what u are talking about!!! Ill search more now!!!

Thanks,

Marcie

HI I found this. Is this pretty good!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOLTA-MAXXUM-A...QQcmdZViewItem

oh and one more question I have a good external flash, I can use it with the lens right! Yes im new to the dslr family!!!

thanks,
    Marcie

Yep that's the one!

Hi I bought it and the guy was nice he will ship out tomarrow for me so I can have it for the big event this week at the competition. Looking forward to trying it out. Is there any particular set up i should set on the camera to use this lens!!!

You all have been a great help to me!!!

Marcie

Hi I bought it and the guy was nice he will ship out tomarrow for me so I can have it for the big event this week at the competition. Looking forward to trying it out. Is there any particular set up i should set on the camera to use this lens!!!

Marcie
    Well, for indoor sports you'll definitely want Super Steady Shot turned on, you'll probably need to use ISO 400, 800, or 1600 depending on the light. I would put it in aperature priority and shoot wide open f/4 to get the fastest shutter speeds possible for given aperature and ISO. So I would go ahead and set SSS on, and set aperature priority f/4 and check the shutter speed. I would then adjust ISO depending on desired/given shutter speeds.

Good luck and congrats on the new lens! Please post some samples. This lens has a cult following and if you ask me is the most bang for the buck that can be had in a single lens. Sharp, great colors, and bokeh to die for.

Marcie
    Wow you move quick! Post the pictures for that event so we can see how well you are doing.
    The Sony Alpha community on this forum is growing. We mus stick together...

I sure will!!! Ill def be coming here. I have some pics i took over the weekend of the parade.

Marcie

The "beercan" (70-210 f/4) should do you proud. I use it for concert/low light situations often, without flash. Here's some examples... there's better examples, but I don't feel like digging, you get the idea...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New here and need help on indoor photography-pict25071.jpg   New here and need help on indoor photography-pict1074.jpg   New here and need help on indoor photography-pict1101-1.jpg   New here and need help on indoor photography-pict3011-1.jpg  

OH WOW!!!! I like that!!! Now im excited!!! My husband just told me he is giving me my money back that i paid for out of my saving to put back in savings and says its a holiday gift.. COOL!!!! I cant wait he is shipping tomarrow!!!!

Marcie

That's great. You will find this to be your favorite lens. There's something about it that just can't be explained. It's more than the optical quality, bokeh, etc...

And yes, please stick around and share your experience with the a-mount system with us.

Hey, all. If you guys see a hood for the 70-210mm F4, let me know. I need one.

Hi have u checked ebay for the hood!!

Marcie

Hi have u checked ebay for the hood!!

Marcie
    Been checking for the past month now.

Keh.com sometimes has hoods as well. Also I think Adorama has some universal hoods that may be worth looking into if you can't find the specific beercan one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information