Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Minolta Lenses? Help!

I have a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z6. I'm looking for a telephoto lens for it, or atleast one that gets me some more zoom, but still keeps the picture clear. As I'm relatively new to photography, I need some help.

Are any of these lenses any good? Which one would be the best for what I want to do with it?

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/p...?sku=MINAF50MM

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/p...ku=MINAF75-300

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/p...ku=MINAF28-100

Re: Minolta Lenses? Help!

Well since the Z6 isn't a DSLR then you can't change lenses, you are pretty much stuck with the one on the camera. These lenses were designed for the Maxxum line of film and DSLR cameras. The Z6 does offer converter lenses which go over your pre-existing lens, but this will make your pictures suffer. Sorry to break this to you, but all is not lost. The Z6 is a great camera to learn on and when you are ready you can easily jump into the DSLR realm and have total control over every picture.

How much reach do you need? Your camera has the effective reach of 420mm in 35mm film terms. That is quite a bit of zoom, especially for it to be optical.

I think deckcadet answered your question about what lenses will fit your camera, and the answer is none that were designed for a DSLR. You can get teleconverters which is what you have, and wide angle adapters which is the same thing, just for wide angle. If you could tell us what you are looking for exactly in a camera or something you want yours to do that its not, then we may be able to help you, but the amount of lenses you are going to find are very slim, and all will affect your picture in negative ways.

Z
    Last edited by zrfraser; 07-17-2006 at 12:37 PM.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

As stated, these lenses won't fit. The 50 1.4 is an awesome lens though.

As for your issue (i read the other thread too), try using a Canon or Olympus 1.7x Tcon. Both seem to do well, however adding any glass will have a negative impact on your photos. If you already have 420mm equiv., may I ask what you need more for? My longest lens is 300mm, and I never need more. If you are thinking about 500mm+. I would seriously suggest a DSLR when the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks alot for the help, I appreciate it!

I'm relatively new to photography, and camera's so I don't know very much. Thanks for clearing that up! So basically with the camera I have, it's best to keep it as is. Adding a converter lens will automatically result in the bad picture quality I'm getting?

My main reason for wanting a telephoto lens is that we have wild bald eagles on our property every year. They come once a year, fish in the creek, then leave to return next year. I'd love to get some shots of them, but I can never get enough zoom to get a nice picture, their too high up in the tree (MASSIVE tree's here.) or in the sky. I thought a telephoto would help my problem significantly, but if it takes my picture quality down, that defeats the whole purpose.

I guess for now I'll settle with learning more about photography, eventually buying an SLR, and then photographing the bald eagles. I best start saving up. ;) Any suggestions for a nice SLR for the future? I hear the Canon Digital Rebel is a wonderful camera.

Thanks again for all your help!

There's a workaround to everything. Put on some camo, or make a blind near the area they are catching the fish, and with alot of patience, you can get your shot.

The main thing with wildlife is stealth and patience. I never really hide, but when I spot a subject, start shooting and slowly walking toward it, careful of heavy steps. Keep the camera up and don't make sudden moves, and you'll be surprised how close you can get.

Well, have not found the answere yet!

Thread Information