Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Lens, lens, lens.

I've been contemplating my next lens. I think, what I want will be a fixed angle, within telephoto range, that does especially outstanding portrait work.

I'm inclined to an Minolta 85mm f/1.4 G or a 135mm f/2.8 STF, however, currently already equipped with a 100mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.7, I thought that the addition of the 200mm f/2.8 APO might be a more useful alternative.

Anybody here have any experience with any of these lens? Any strong inclinations that any of you would have towards any of those picks in particular?

Personally, I want the telephoto reach of the 200, the creamy goodness of the STF on the 135, and the bright f/1.4 of the 85.... Choices choices choices...

If I understand the aperture difference in the 135, the "f/2.8" opening really gets translated to an f/4.5 in terms of brightness, so its actually a fairly slow lens. But, is this STF achievable only at f/2.8, or can it be used at narrower apertures? I'm not sure I understand the second diaphragm thing exactly right. *Edit - meaning, is the selected aperture always slowed down by 1.3 stops? Or, does it only slow down for the varied stop value differences between 2.8 (1.3 stops) and 4 (1/3rd stop) and its difference from 4.5?
    Last edited by Anbesol; 07-04-2011 at 11:11 PM.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Re: Lens, lens, lens.

I know little about the STF other than it's $ and I've seen some beautiful images taken with it. I'm always watching for a deal, but don't think it will ever get down to what I'm willing to pay. I really haven't seen it used a lot with indoor portrait work where you have the control to do other things. More for outdoor type portraits - people and nature.

The 200 f/2.8 is one of my favorite lenses and I use it often. AF snaps on lock and it's sharp as any.

I never find myself looking for something in the 85mm range so that lens has never held my attention. Maybe if I did portraits...?

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thanks for the input. That 200mm sure is a tempting one, I think that may be the one!
    - Charlie

lol, after another day full of curious research, I decided that the Minolta 300mm f/4 should be on the short list as well, although, once I get the money, it may be hard to find, and may be more than I want to spend, and wont hit that f/2.8 crosshair. Hopefully it can be kept under $1200. I also feel like I have to consider the 70-200 f/2.8 varieties, just because they are within the range of the lens I am looking at. Probably NOT the Sony SSM version, thats just too much dang money, but the Tamron version. The Tokina version is 80-200 f/2.8 and only some $500. Hmmm.....

Still, I think the 200mm f/2.8 is the front-runner. It does have the most appeal, seems to be one of, if not THE sharpest lens Minolta has.
    - Charlie

There is a 300mm f4 Minolta G on ebay. Located in Honk Kong, approx $1400. Just for info.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PWhite214 View Post
    There is a 300mm f4 Minolta G on ebay. Located in Honk Kong, approx $1400. Just for info.

Phil
    Also a Minolta 600 f/4 - would have to sell both of my cars. - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

I hear that, Terry. Though I would love to have the 600. Danged lens lust

Phil

Recent review of the 200 f/2.8. Still holding its own.

http://www.photozone.de/sonyalphaff/660-minolta200f28

Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Well I am in no hurry to get it. I want to at least wait until Sony makes the announcement of the A77. That will be the point in which I decide to move forward with the A77, or to move up to full frame. I am not entirely opposed to staying APS if the A77 is a real good workhorse with a great EVF. Then, the announcement may also cause a drop in the A900 price, making full frame a more reasonably affordable option. Whichever way I decide to go will make a pretty big difference to the lens I choose.

But as of now, the 200mm f/2.8 is still the frontrunner for me, followed very shortly by the Zeiss 135mm f/1.8. The garden variety of 70-200 f/2.8's aren't totally dismissed as potential options, but the fiixed 200mm and the zeiss 135mm are both looking the most appealing to me now. The zeiss would however, be the better portrait option, especially if sticking with APS. But the 200mm is a better action and telephoto option.

What about you guys, any purchases that you are putting off til the other side of Sony's announcement?
    - Charlie

Like you, I still need to see how the A77 turns out a couple months after release. Since I already have more kit than talent, I'm not really needing anything new. But what does 'need' have to do with it. Terry

EDIT: I guess that they are pretty sure now that this is a real photo of the A77. http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-l...e-real-images/
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

Awesome. I think I'd have liked to see a more beefy control wheel, looks like the same as A700/9/85. Missing a steady shot switch! Why is this?! Full time SSS? Buried in menu? Removed as a feature?

The LCD tilt swivel controls look outstanding. Maintaining both horizontal and vertical motion, as was displayed in the other leaked images. Looks to be a best in class feature.

Looks like it does not come supplied with a stock flash, so an accessory flash is required for a wireless commander. Sucks, may as well do a radio commander instead. What about the top? PC Sync port?
    - Charlie

Still looking

Thread Information