Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Question Minolta lens vs Sony DSLR camera body

I have a Minolta telephoto AF lens 70-210 from 1985. I would like to update to a DSLR camara. Would the lens be compatable with a new Sony DSLR camera and secondly does it make any sense to buy only a new camara without newer lenses? Your opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Minolta lens vs Sony DSLR camera body

Yes it is compatible, the 70-210 f/4 is a great one on digital, aside from some minor CA issues its nearly flawless, great resolving power, internal zoom, fast and fixed aperture. If you wanted to upgrade that lens you'd be looking at spending a huge chunk of money on the 70-200 f/2.8, or one of the G's, or also some of Minoltas G's and APO's (~$1k-2k). On any of the Sony APS bodies (anything thats not the A800 or A900) the field of view will be magnified with that lens compared to what you are used to, so it will be a bit more telephoto across the range (105-315mm). Almost rendering it pointless as a portrait lens, but other telephoto uses it is great for..

Some of the lens from the 80's and 90's are still very good by todays standards, including your 70-210.

*edit - for a minute I thought the variable aperture lens' for minoltas were 70-200, but I'm thinking there were a few that went to 210 - do you know if the 70-210 you have is the f/4, or another?

The advantage of using newer glass on the DLSRs is that they are "coated" to reduce some reflections you can get from the sensor face in the camera body to the back element of the lens. If you shoot properly, this usually is not an issue.

Old lenses, if they have been kept in good condition, are fungus-free and are in proper alignment, can easily rival what you can get from most of the newer ones.

So, check out the glass you use ... make sure it REALLY works and have some fun, while not having to sport the expense of film and developing/printing costs.
    Don Schap
    If you can't afford the heavy-duty gear ... have no fear, they used to do this with a piece of charcoal and a dark tent
    There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.

Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera, that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.
    My Gear List
    flickr®

r_w

I love old glass. I went Sony because I had some old Minolta glass. 70-210 beer can, 50mm 1.4, etc.

Thank your for sharing this wonderful story. I find your post very informative.
    I am very excited to be a part of this Forum and look forward to bringing Value to it.

Many older lenses are way better than modern ones in the same price range I have a Canon 70-210 f4 of a similar vintage to your Miolta and it wipes the floor with lenses costing 3 times the £60 I paid for it

Almost all my lenses are older Minolta. I love them on my Sony A200. Your lens will work on ant of the Sony Alpha Cameras. Have fun shooting.

Phil

Thread Information