Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    G_H

Re: DSC-H2 Shutter Button Problem

good luck

I'll be interested to know how it works out for you.

Smile Re: DSC-H2 Shutter Button Problem

Well Guess What. I'm another un happy Customer about this H2 Camera. I was just sitting on my desk reading a magazine when I hear something about to pop. Yes the whole boton jumped about 3ft in the air landing next to my magazine. I have already order the part thanks to you for posting it. Thank you for placing your order

You will receive an email confirmation of your order. You may also want to print this page or note the order number for future reference.

List of Items Ordered
    Description Item# Unit Price Qty Amount
    RELEASE ASSY X21083252 $18.61 1 $18.61

Subtotal: $18.61

* Estimated Tax: $1.54
    Shipping and Handling (Standard Shipping): $6.95

Total Charges (In USD): $27.10

(All currencies are expressed in US Dollars)

So I guess i will see the part in about a week or so. I will let you guys know how did I manage to fix it without breaking it. lol. but if something major happens I would be sending to sony for the $181 Flat Rate Fee.

I too had the same problem. I only had the camera for about 10 months at the time my incident occurred. I went to use my camera one day in my mother's car and the shutter button flew off and hit the windshield, it was right after I took one photo. I was like, what was that and I looked up to see what it was and it was the shutter button lying on the dashboard. A spring also came out of it some how and it was lying on the floor board of the car. Good thing I didn't lose either part, however, they're useless now. I'm ghetto and don't have a lot of money, so I use a paper clip to stick down into the hole, where the shutter button should be, whenever I want to take a photo. It's pretty crappy that this is happening to a lot of people. Sony should fix the problem for free for us who can't afford a new camera or repair costs. So now I have had the camera for over two years, can't afford repairs or a new one, so I have to deal with a broken shutter button that is Sony's fault and the designer, developer, creator, or whatever you would want to call the guy. Now I don't ever buy anything else SONY because I had a video camera that I bought from Wal-mart that was also Sony and it doesn't work well in which I have to hit the bottom where you put the tape in to get the picture to work otherwise it looks all fuzzy. Plus it was supposed to come with some extra accessories but didn't have 1 or 2 of the important things. I'm shy and stuff so I wasn't about to take it back to Wal-mart, but I guess I should be like these other nagging people I see and complain about stuff more whenever I'm not satisfied. Well, I hope this helps you people who think it's the customers fault for something breaking when it's clearly SONY's fault for the malfunction of their so called "great" camera to see that you should know the customer is always right (correct).

I have had my H2 for a year and a half, and haven't had the shutter button pop off. What has happened to me twice now is the auto-focus when you hold the button down half way has stopped working. It still focuses and takes the photo when I press the button all the way down and the photos are just as good as they were before.

Does anyone know if getting this new shutter button kit will fix this problem? Thanks!

BTW, I've had several Sony camera's and like them all. I'm extremely happy with the quality of photos from my H2, I just have this small auto-focus shutter button issue. I compared photos with my brothers Canon G9 and I have to say I like the quality from the H2 better. The G9 has a lot more features I love, but the picture quality isn't as good - to me.

Rich

I just had both problems with Sony Cameras. The first H1 I had also had the problem with auto-focus when pressing the button halfway down. It was in the repair shop four times before Sony replaced it with a Refurb H2. The H2 worked fine for about a year until the warranty expired and then the focus issues started with the H2 and last week "pop goes the button" right in the middle of a photo session. The camera is now at Digitechcamerarepair that I found online. They were a little cheaper than Sony repair centers. Obviously these cameras are crap. This will be the last repair before looking to a better designed camera.

This just happened to me. Thre are dozens upon dozens of reports about this problem with this camera. I can't believe Sony wants to live with the bad press they are getting about this. I guess companies only do recalls on safety issues? Is there any other consumer action that could be taken? I think I'll contact my attorney general's consumer department to find out. Anyone else here from NC?

Quote Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    No doubt I've read probably a hundred complaints about the H series shutter, but how many thousands of cameras were sold? How many came back? I'm not trying to be sony's apologist, but I have a feeling that there are far more cameras out there without problems than with problems. That's all I'm trying to say. The internet makes small populations seem large, and concentrates unhappy customers. The happy ones have no reason to post a thread about their shutter buttons. A weak spot, for sure - but no reason to avoid the cameras altogether.
    Admittedly the hundreds of problems vs total sales is likely a small percentage. However, one can say the same thing when a car model that might pop a cable is recalled (yes I understand that it is a safety concern). Doesn't make those affected any happier. This is obviously a design flaw. If there are so few problems vs sales total yet the EXACT SAME problem you would think a reputable company would take care of customers that it hopes to keep.

I really love this camera but I'm totally disgusted that mine broke and Sony will not fix it w/o charging my credit card nearly half the original cost.

Has anyone successfully reached Sony Corp and had camera replaced? What did you have to do and who did you contact? My camera popped a shutter button in May "08 and I sent it to a "certified" repair shop. When it came back the autofocus was not working. I sent it a 2nd time and it was fixed, but now the flash does not work at all. I am totally disgusted with this Sony product. I spoke with a Sony customer-"no-service" person and it was futile, was refused to talk with a supervisor or manager. I bought the camera before THanksgiving 2006 and used it for several long trips. It is out of "warranty" but at this price I believe it should last longer that 19 months. I've already spent $200 in repairs and don't know if I should go ahead and repair the flash--I don't have an estimate on that yet.
    Please help!

I had the same problem with the DSC-H2.
    I Love Photography, and I am a avid photographer. I believe a picture is only as good as the picture frame that surrounds it
    I'm looking for pre cut mat board.

FIX THE DSC H (1 to 9) SHUTTER AND AUTOFOCUS PROBLEMS FOREVER!

Hi Everyone! just to tell all of you that I GET THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION TO THOSE DSC-H(1 to 9) SHUTER AND AUTOFOCUS PROBLEMS! FOREVER AND EVER! Do you wanna know how it has been possible?

Visit my blog: http://focussonydsch.blogspot.com/

Infortunatelly is in Spanish but in a few days it will be in English too! (i´m working on that).
    :thumbsup:

Lightbulb Re: DSC-H2 Shutter Button Problem

I found this page when I typed "DSC-H2 parts" into Google and this came up the number one link. I got the camera in May 2007. In June 2008 I went on vacation with it. At that point I had taken maybe 3000 pictures with it without any problem. So anyway, I was in China on my vacation just minutes before my boat was supposed to leave for a cruise there, when the shutter button came off. Since I was only maybe 1/4 of the way through my trip, I thought of getting a new camera, but even the smaller inferior cameras were too much (without bargaining; Im sure it would have been less than what I was originally told, but whatever). So in the end I was able to rig it up by sticking a wire straight down the hole where the button used to go. It seems the button is like a thumb tack, and as long as I had that wire going to the same point and making contact with whatever's down there, that's all I need. The wire is held in place by tape, and I have now taken around 1000 pictures with this set up.

Of course, since my camera was just over a year old when this happened, its not under warranty. Sony wanted $130 just for labor. So if you figure the part is around $20, then you're looking at at least $165 by the time you add in shipping. Of course, it still has the same low quality parts, so this is liable to break again. Besides, look on ebay and see how much these cameras go for. Its not worth it. I told the guy at Sony that I was unhappy with this situation and that I'd rather go buy a new NIKON than pay to get this Sony repaired. :mad2:

Im really surprised at this. Sony has always been a high quality brand, and Im really disappointed in the way they are handling this. I still have a DSC-S70 that I got in 2000. It became obsolete, but it still works as well as it ever did. YOu would think that the H2, which is supposed to be a much more capable camera would be of the same (or better) quality. After reading this forum, I think I will just keep it the way it is instead of getting it fixed. Here is a picture of my camera with the wire makeshift shutter button.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC-H2 Shutter Button Problem-camera.jpg  

You can get the parts from our store if you need help with DIY digital camera repair, and we can install it for you as well! The H series are kind of a pain to work on but I have a friend who is a certified Sony repair tech that does it for me and has been repairing cameras for me for years!

Sony Digital Camera Repair Parts - Darntoothysam.com

If we can help, please let us know!

Thomas

here is a link with a picture and directions:idea:

http://www.camerahacker.com/Forums/D...release_button

Wow, with the internet, one is never truly alone. The button on my H2 popped off yesterday while at the playground with the kids. Luckily I was mainly just playing around, taking a few action shots here and there. I ordered the replacement part (X21083262 RELEASE ASSY) and paid about $30 for it. I realize now that the half-pressure focus has never really worked and, upon further digging, it's probably because of shoddy materials. I contacted Sony repair service using chat and was told they weren't aware of a problem and got the standard put-off. I then found the BBB site and logged a complaint. There aren't that many complaints for Sony - it's in the hundreds - so if even 10-20 people who read this site log a complaint with BBB I'd bet that it would be noticed. It only took me about 5 minutes, here's the url:

http://www.bbb.org/

Happy complaint filing!!

I too bought a DSC H3 Sony Cybershot and it popped the shutter button shortly before the one year warranty expired. Sony fixed the shutter button no problem. My camera was purchased at Circuit City and one day before my Manufacturer's Warranty expired I received a letter from them to extend my warranty for 4 years. I sent it in my check and one year later my shutter button "popped off" again. I was holding the camera and it just popped like a button off a shirt.

I contacted CityAssure about fixing this problem and they informed me that it's "cosmetic" and they refuse to service the camera. I also lose power in my batteries very quickly. CityAssure said that before they fix that I must have the button fixed by Sony first.

I am LIVID! Bunch of liars and crooks. It's going to cost me over $160 to fix the button.
    During my heated conversation the supervisor at CityAssure told me that if the button is in place and I state that it doesn't "work" then it's a mechanical problem and that they will cover that....so I guess I have to somehow SHOVE the button on and make it stay before I try to file a claim again.

Anybody out there have any suggestions for me?

Wink Re: DSC-H2 Shutter Button Problem

I was having this problem on my Sony DSC-H5! I had fallen in love with the halfway focus feature and it was like taking pictures in the dark when it stopped working. After reading so many options on the internet I started taking my camera apart (i know now, big mistake!)
    Finally contacted Teleplan Camera Repair and they had me send in the camera ( and all the pieces err). They did a great job and on top of it included a cleaning of the camera, which was much needed! Now my lovable halfway focus feature is back!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information