Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Having a problem today

My computer or the site?

Ran into various problems today:
    After clicking a few pages, a page won't load completely. I click refresh and my whole computer bogs down
    Quick reply wasn't working
    The forum jump drop down doesn't show all forums

I've reset once already, no avail.
    Is it me? Or is it you?
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Having a problem today

ditto to the problems. I'm having trouble with the uploads as well.
    Last edited by jsmith75; 06-14-2006 at 10:57 AM.

It's on our end. And I think it's all fixed now. Let me know if you have more problems. We also rolled out upgraded gallery software. So it will look a little different and it's possible that there will be a few problems there.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Digitally Challenged - Bonkers Kaelastreet's Avatar

Problems abound. It makes the site really hard work, and that is not what I want. I look forward to you getting it sorted out. IS there a subscriptive service that can dish out the same pages MINUS all the advertising??

Kaela

Nothing is ever as it seems to be

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelastreet
    Problems abound. It makes the site really hard work, and that is not what I want. I look forward to you getting it sorted out. IS there a subscriptive service that can dish out the same pages MINUS all the advertising??

Kaela
    What problems are you having today? Please be specific so that I can tell my engineers about them. The problems that Rick was talking about have been fixed.

No subscription service. We've done some queries and people aren't really interested. So we have to have the ads to pay for the site. Is there anything in particular that you don't like or causing you problems? If so, I might be able to address the problem directly. We do remove offensive ads or ads that cause page load problems, when we can identify them.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    What problems are you having today? Please be specific .
    I enjoy the forum a great deal, so much so, I invited my partner to join in as well. I have been submitting to, and following the thread located on this link.

June Photo Project: Plantlife

The Banner and Banner ad appear within five seconds. Then, nothing happens, well this morning, Sunday 18/6/06 @ 08:10 nothing happened for two minutes, 44 seconds. (yes, sadly I timed it).

A busy system cannot be blamed at that time, most of the US are still in Bed and many of the Brits are still munching cornflakes and wading through the Sunday rags.
    The lack of anything on the screen, save for an animated advert, over and over is enough to get one hot under the collar.

The problem, dare I be permitted to suggest, based on considerable experience with PHP and MySql, is that the software is designed to handle threads a lot lot smaller. The thread I am dealing with is in practical terms, enormous. So many pictures, large pictures, possibly hundreds of them, every one lovingly placed and presented with glee, and quite rightly, the presenters of the images have every right to expect their image to be loaded as quickly as everyone else.

PHP can do that, it can do it nicely, or it can do it simply. The simple method is to draw everything in the thread into a buffer, then when it has been assembled, present to the browser. If you have many megabytes of data to transfer, nothing seems to happen forever, and then it all comes together, in this case 2 minutes and 44 seconds later.

My proposal is serve up smaller chunks. Limit page size of large threads.
    Anything to speed up the system.

Kaela

Seems this problem has cropped up again. I tried looking at the .mobi thread in the Internet and Web design forum that i know has 4 posts in it and only displays 2 posts, shows page errors and the display on the right is just all wrong.

Same in Mozilla Firefox as well.

Hi Peter from DownUnder.
    The Land of Four Ecks (According to Terry Pratchet)

How I would love to swop places for a long weekend, just to take as many pictures as I could before returning, gee

Its odd how the threads here sometimes take forever, I have half a mind to beleive that the system is running on more than one physical server and one of the servers is have frequent senior moments.

That happened to me in the US when I lived there, East Coast, fast delivery, prices updated in near real time. West Coast, Digital Amnesia.

As I used to say to my customers, "Its a minor technical glitch caused by Sunspots in the Ionosphere, the techies are servicing the main frame and topping up the halogen in the lights, it'll be ok by lunchtimne..."

Kizz

Some problems haven't cleared up from the upgrade a couple of weeks ago. For example, a picture that I just posted isn't showing in all the galleries that it should be. Also, pictures posted yesterday are "on top" of pictures posted today. The area that seems to have the most problems is the link to the pictures posted in the last day, but the problem is widespread.

Any word on whether this is being worked on?
    -Pam :idea:
    "There is more to life than increasing its speed. -- Mahatma Gandhi"

Thread Information