Liz

Is PR slow lately.....or what am I doing wrong?

For about a week now, I've had a problem trying to access PR due to the time it takes. A few times I've given up after 2-3 minutes and returned later if I have more time. Also, it now takes longer for the threads/posts to load - and the ones with photos are extremely slow. I waited about a week to mention it here hoping to see some improvement, but it's no different today.

I'm not having this problem anywhere else, so I'm wondering what is causing it - and if others are having a problem. I have a fairly new computer that is fast so I shouldn't be having this problem. I have the latest version of IE.

Thanks for any input or info.

Liz

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Is PR slow lately.....or what am I doing wrong?

I haven't seen it with Firefox, but I use it at different times to you I think.
    Could be as much to do with the time difference in the UK as the bloat in IE8.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I've had a couple of "server too busy" episodes this week, and a couple of slow load times too. Overall I haven't had a problem though. Just sometimes.

EDIT- having said that, this reply took extremely long to post. I think it has more to do with my computer needing a reboot though.

ps. I chiefly use Safari on the Mac.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

The forum engine (if that's what it is called) used by PR isn't the fastest, but it's OK. I use one of the sister sites and it's the same. There are times (once/month???) when it goes to speed= unusable and I just have to come back later. Many times, lately, it loads the PR banner and just sits there. If I hit Refresh on my browser it will pop up immediately. I also had trouble recently using the Back button, so I quit using it and went to using a new tab each time. – TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    The forum engine (if that's what it is called) used by PR isn't the fastest, but it's OK. I use one of the sister sites and it's the same. There are times (once/month???) when it goes to speed= unusable and I just have to come back later. Many times, lately, it loads the PR banner and just sits there. If I hit Refresh on my browser it will pop up immediately. I also had trouble recently using the Back button, so I quit using it and went to using a new tab each time. – TF
    Hitting refresh just makes it hang twice as long for some reason. Right now it is faster, but most of the time lately it has been slower that I've known it to be on "slow days" in the past.

What I can't understand is - if it's IE or my pc - why do all the other websites work instantly at the same time I'm trying to get on PR?

Liz

I usually chalk it up to a resources-hogging ad somewhere on the page.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I seem to be encountering 1 of 2 (sometimes both) messages every time I log on:

1) "server is too busy at the moment"
    2) "server is not accepting new posts"

A small, yet irritating recurring issue. I've lost several reply posts and logged off many times without being able to post anything (maybe that was meant to be )
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have been seeing the "server is too busy at the moment" more frequently in the last week or so. Have also had several times when a page would hang for a long time before loading.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I am using Firefox and have received server too busy check back later several times lately, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The site is still quite slow, both on Vista version of IE at home and on an older version of Windows at work (different ISP situations, obviuosly). If I were a new member or a guest, I wouldn't be encouraged to spend time here...
    Is there a timeframe for when we can expect the site to get back to normal speeds?
    -Pam :idea:
    "There is more to life than increasing its speed. -- Mahatma Gandhi"

Forums? IE?

I've been noticing that the forums load very slow in IE and it seems to be the IE phishing filter and something in our right-hand column. Does that seem accurate to the rest of you? I've seen other sites hang on the IE phishing filter, too. But our forums often seem to be especially bad. And I'm also seeing stats drop on forum visitors. That could very well be because of the poor load times.

What do you guys think?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Re: Forums? IE?

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I've been noticing that the forums load very slow in IE and it seems to be the IE phishing filter and something in our right-hand column. Does that seem accurate to the rest of you? I've seen other sites hang on the IE phishing filter, too. But our forums often seem to be especially bad. And I'm also seeing stats drop on forum visitors. That could very well be because of the poor load times.

What do you guys think?
    Yes......I notice the Phishing filter shows up on other sites for about 1-2 seconds at the most. Sometimes you don't even see it. Here it hangs - just now it was hanging for about 2 minutes before it loaded. Today it is especially bad for some reason. I've given up a couple of times trying to get into the forums.

Liz

I use opera for all forum and photo sites.
    All load well with it.
    "Server busy" has nothing to do with your browser. I have seen that here in the last few weeks.
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

Thread Information