Thread: Blog Spam

Blog Spam

why is there so much spam in the blogs and classifieds? Especially the blogs. I think I have only seen 2-3 other people that actually post non-spam.
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

Re: Blog Spam

Quote Originally Posted by DGK*CRONE
    why is there so much spam in the blogs and classifieds? Especially the blogs. I think I have only seen 2-3 other people that actually post non-spam.
    The blogs have been targeted by spammers and, unfortunately, I'm the only one who can delete their posts. It also takes a lot longer to delete the blog spam than forum spam. And I have too much to do as it is. I have been spending some time every day over the past week deleting it, though. I don't really know what else to say. We really need better tools or a completely new member blog section. Sorry
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

That's a bummer to hear but it makes sense. this is not a complaint. just an inquiry. It's better to see the forums cleaned up from spam than the blogs.
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

Quote Originally Posted by DGK*CRONE
    That's a bummer to hear but it makes sense. this is not a complaint. just an inquiry. It's better to see the forums cleaned up from spam than the blogs.
    Yeah, if you go by traffic volume - and I have to - the forums are exponentially more important than the member blogs. But I have a blog buried in that spam and some of our more creative and interesting members have blogs, too. So I don't like to see all that spam. I had a conversation just a few days ago with one of our technical staff about solutions and that's where the idea for a whole new blog platform came from. I think that would be the best thing. We have a lot of high-priority projects on our plate right now though, so don't hold your breath. Have faith that I am watching the spam and I'll do my best to keep it under control
    Photo-John

Good News!

I found out where the blog admin tools were and found a setting that makes all blogs have to be approved. So any new blog will need to be approved by me now. Your blg *entries* will still go live without approval. But anyone who creates a new blog will have to get it past me first. Hopefully this ends the blog spam problem
    Photo-John

that sounds like a lot more work... sorry!

but...

!!!!
    Marco Arreguin

Growing every day.

Just set it up so users with less than 10 posts cannot post if the message contains a URL.

Maybe in the URL parser do an if statement that if the user posts is < 10 it die(Less than 10 posts); or something.

Also might want to try adding a simple test while registering accounts like 1+ 1 = ?.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

John,
    I consider us friends, and I hope you feel the same about me, but I have been hearing the same thing from you about the blogs for a long time now, that their priority for you and everyone else is low at best.
    I appreciate what you do for this community but I feel that you, pr.com. ecentives, inveda, etc, should do something more about them.
    I know you are a one person shop, but if this is the best that can be done, perhaps it's time the blogs go away.
    Some possible solutions I have would be a blog moderator or even an actual paid employee that is solely responsible for the blogs on the ecentive, inveda companies.
    I don't know if any of those are feasible, but these are my thoughts on the matte.
    Thanks for listening.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Just pointing out the stack of spam in "off-topic". Too much for a user to mark all of them.... I wish these a**holes would just go away! :mad5:
    Feel free to edit my images, just let me know what you did.

Nikon D90 w/18-105 VR, 70-300VR, 35mm f1.8G &Tamron 10-24 f3.5-4.5
    Nikon SB-600 Speedlight (x2) w/ Gary Fong 1/2 Cloud Light Sphere (x2) and 1 Cloud
    Slik Pro 700DX tripod w/Vanguard SBH-200 ball-head
    Panasonic ZS8

My photo's:
    http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/...20Photography/

Thread Information