Blog Spam

Printable View

• 01-18-2011, 03:30 PM
    DGK*CRONE
    Blog Spam
    why is there so much spam in the blogs and classifieds? Especially the blogs. I think I have only seen 2-3 other people that actually post non-spam.
  • 01-18-2011, 03:58 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Blog Spam
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DGK*CRONE
    why is there so much spam in the blogs and classifieds? Especially the blogs. I think I have only seen 2-3 other people that actually post non-spam.

The blogs have been targeted by spammers and, unfortunately, I'm the only one who can delete their posts. It also takes a lot longer to delete the blog spam than forum spam. And I have too much to do as it is. I have been spending some time every day over the past week deleting it, though. I don't really know what else to say. We really need better tools or a completely new member blog section. Sorry :(
  • 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM
    DGK*CRONE
    That's a bummer to hear but it makes sense. this is not a complaint. just an inquiry. It's better to see the forums cleaned up from spam than the blogs.
  • 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DGK*CRONE
    That's a bummer to hear but it makes sense. this is not a complaint. just an inquiry. It's better to see the forums cleaned up from spam than the blogs.

Yeah, if you go by traffic volume - and I have to - the forums are exponentially more important than the member blogs. But I have a blog buried in that spam and some of our more creative and interesting members have blogs, too. So I don't like to see all that spam. I had a conversation just a few days ago with one of our technical staff about solutions and that's where the idea for a whole new blog platform came from. I think that would be the best thing. We have a lot of high-priority projects on our plate right now though, so don't hold your breath. Have faith that I am watching the spam and I'll do my best to keep it under control :)
  • 01-19-2011, 06:23 PM
    Photo-John
    Good News!
    I found out where the blog admin tools were and found a setting that makes all blogs have to be approved. So any new blog will need to be approved by me now. Your blg *entries* will still go live without approval. But anyone who creates a new blog will have to get it past me first. Hopefully this ends the blog spam problem :)
  • 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
    DGK*CRONE
    that sounds like a lot more work... sorry!

but...

http://juventus.theoffside.com/files...05/d-fence.jpg!!!!
  • 03-05-2011, 12:13 AM
    Username2343
    Just set it up so users with less than 10 posts cannot post if the message contains a URL.

Maybe in the URL parser do an if statement that if the user posts is < 10 it die(Less than 10 posts); or something.

Also might want to try adding a simple test while registering accounts like 1+ 1 = ?.
  • 03-05-2011, 01:00 PM
    mtbbrian
    John,
    I consider us friends, and I hope you feel the same about me, but I have been hearing the same thing from you about the blogs for a long time now, that their priority for you and everyone else is low at best.
    I appreciate what you do for this community but I feel that you, pr.com. ecentives, inveda, etc, should do something more about them.
    I know you are a one person shop, but if this is the best that can be done, perhaps it's time the blogs go away.
    Some possible solutions I have would be a blog moderator or even an actual paid employee that is solely responsible for the blogs on the ecentive, inveda companies.
    I don't know if any of those are feasible, but these are my thoughts on the matte.
    Thanks for listening.
    Brian
  • 05-20-2011, 09:07 AM
    MNRyan
    Just pointing out the stack of spam in "off-topic". Too much for a user to mark all of them.... I wish these a**holes would just go away! :mad5: