Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Nikon announce 24Mpix D3200 and 28mm f1.8

Two surprise announcements. The announcement says that the 24Mpix sensor is designed by Nikon. (People were expecting Nikon to use the 24Mpix Sony sensor but the dimensions and number of pixels are not the same)

Nikon | Imaging Products | Nikon D3200

And the 28mm f1.8 lens. Now this might be of interest to me as I only have the duff 5-element 28mm f2.8

Nikon | Imaging Products | AF-S NIKKOR 28mm f/1.8G
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: Nikon announce 24Mpix D3200 and 28mm f1.8

I will look forward to the review of the Nikon D3200, this looks like it will be a superb starter camera.

I had decided to purchase a D5100 up until tonight...Now I have no idea once again. Need to read some comparisons between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by blueraid View Post
    I had decided to purchase a D5100 up until tonight...Now I have no idea once again. Need to read some comparisons between the two.
    Why? What does the D3200 have that the D5100 doesn't and that suddenly makes you doubt?

- Don't say "It's newer". There are new cameras coming out all the time. When the D5200 is announced you'll be kicking yourself anyway.
    - Don't say "Because it has 24Mpix". You probably can't even tell the difference between 16Mpix and 24Mpix anyway unless you use a very good lens (40mm macro), put the camera on a tripod and make a wall-size print

The only real difference that I can see is that the D5100 has a pivoting LCD screen and the D3200 doesn't. What else is there?
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    Why? What does the D3200 have that the D5100 doesn't and that suddenly makes you doubt?

- Don't say "It's newer". There are new cameras coming out all the time. When the D5200 is announced you'll be kicking yourself anyway.
    - Don't say "Because it has 24Mpix". You probably can't even tell the difference between 16Mpix and 24Mpix anyway unless you use a very good lens (40mm macro), put the camera on a tripod and make a wall-size print

The only real difference that I can see is that the D5100 has a pivoting LCD screen and the D3200 doesn't. What else is there?
    I've never owned a SLR camera before. Always just had the point and shoots in the past. When I spend this kind of money I want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck. Not gonna just drop 800 bucks without comparing the camera.

Two surprise announcements. The announcement says that the 24Mpix sensor is designed by Nikon. (People were expecting Nikon to use the 24Mpix Sony sensor but the dimensions and number of pixels are not the same)
    This announcement happened while I was on the road and I wasn't able to give it as much attention as I would have liked. I actually wrote in my announcement article that it was the same sensor as the Sony cameras. I would still bet that it's some variation of that sensor. But you've got me wondering. I just re-skimmed the press release that I got and didn't see anything about who designed and / or made the sensor. Also, "Nikon-developed," is open to a lot of interpretation. If I remember right, Nikon doesn't make any of their own sensors. They don't have the manufacturing facilities to do so. So they can either buy an "off-the-shelf" sensor like they usually do with the DX cameras, or they can "develop" their own and have whoever they want make it. However, "develop" could also just mean they take an off-the-shelf sensor and tweak it a bit. In this case, I expect that's what they did. Maybe not, though. I don't really know. And this isn't criticism, either. Mostly, it's me being paranoid about my fact-checking on my D3200 announcement article

I do think a 24-megapixel entry-level camera seems ridiculous, though. Most people who buy that camera will not be prepared to deal with those big files. Nor will they need them. Hell, almost no one needs files that big. Personally, I don't want files that big. It also seems funny to me that Nikon, the company that was championing lower resolution for better image quality, has made such a dramatic strategic switch with both the D3200 and the D800.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    It also seems funny to me that Nikon, the company that was championing lower resolution for better image quality, has made such a dramatic strategic switch with both the D3200 and the D800.
    That's what I thought but with the D800 Nikon have succeeded in making a sensor with excellent image quality and high resolution. If you take the trouble to do things exactly right (tripod, best lenses..) then you have an image bursting with detail that you can crop easily if needed (Something that I never used to do but now I'm doing it more. Quickly get used to the D800)

I don't think that the average D3200 user is going to have perfect technique. As I said they probably won't see any difference whatever between a 16Mpix camera and a 24Mpix camera.
    Charles

I don't think that the average D3200 user is going to have perfect technique. As I said they probably won't see any difference whatever between a 16Mpix camera and a 24Mpix camera.
    I think they will see a difference when they try to open, adjust, store or e-mail those larger files. I understand the strategy with the D800, although I think it should have lower-res RAW settings like the Canon DSLRs. But the D3200 sensor looks like pure marketing to me. For what it's worth, I thought the same thing about the 24-megapixel Sony DSLRs. I just don't think it's necessary.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information