Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Opinions wanted on Teleconverter

I have been looking at the Sigma 150-500mm lens and just am not sure I want to spend that much on something that probably won't get used that often and I am not convinced how sharp the pictures would be.

I have a Nikon 70-200VR F2.8 and the Nikon 70-300VR lenses but would like something a little longer. The 70-300VR won't work with a tele converter correctly so that is eliminated. Next would be getting a TC for my 70-200VR F2.8 and deciding which one to get, the 1.7 or the 2x to go with this lens. The 1.7 would only get me to 340mm which is only a 40mm gain over the 70-300 so this also seems to me to be a waste of money.

Now down to the actual part I have a question about. If I bought the new Nikon TC 20E III Converter - Nikon AF-S for my 70-200mm F2.8 that would give me a reach up to 400mm at a constant 5.6 to give me about 25% more reach than my 70-300. This seems to me to be the best option if I can determine how sharp the pictures would be. I know that any TC no matter how good it is will be a little softer but do any of you know where I can see some pictures with this combo or do you have any experience or knowledge that you could give me on this combination.

I know this post was a little wordy but I wanted you to know how I narrowed the choices down to the Nikon 2x TC. Any thoughts, opinions or ideas would be great, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nod

Re: Opinions wanted on Teleconverter

I have both the 1.4x TC and the 2.0x . Here are two shots using my Minolta 70-210 f4 "beercan" lens. The first one is without a TC, the second (same shot on tripod) is with the 2X TC. These are right out of the camera, no processing other than sized for posting. I have no trouble using the 2X on this lens and with enough light it will AF. With the 1.4 the lens will AF even on a cloudy day. Even if you have to MF with the 300 lens it will still be sharp enough I'm sure . The trick with TC's I've been told it to be sure that you get one made for your brand of camera so that it can read it. Just my thoughts on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Nod View Post
    I have both the 1.4x TC and the 2.0x . Here are two shots using my Minolta 70-210 f4 "beercan" lens. The first one is without a TC, the second (same shot on tripod) is with the 2X TC. These are right out of the camera, no processing other than sized for posting. I have no trouble using the 2X on this lens and with enough light it will AF. With the 1.4 the lens will AF even on a cloudy day. Even if you have to MF with the 300 lens it will still be sharp enough I'm sure . The trick with TC's I've been told it to be sure that you get one made for your brand of camera so that it can read it. Just my thoughts on this subject.

Thanks for posting these pictures. Are the ones in the link also taken with the 2x TC, Jeff

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nod

No, just these 2 shots. What I was doing was taking the same shot at different f stops with and with out the TC. If you'd like I could take a few longer shots with both TC's @ 210mm. I can't do it today but early next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nod View Post
    No, just these 2 shots. What I was doing was taking the same shot at different f stops with and with out the TC. If you'd like I could take a few longer shots with both TC's @ 210mm. I can't do it today but early next week.
    Is there any chance of E-Mailing me the original of a few taken with the 2x TC. The Nikon 2x that I mentioned is supposed to be a lot better than the older version and I am really hoping someone that uses that model may post a few pictures, Jeff

Nod

Will do in a couple of days.

I finally found some pictures taken with exactly the combination of Nikon 70-200VR F2.8 lens with the Nikon 20E TC III on it. These were taken on a D90 and I will be using it with my D7000 so now I know just what to expect. They look very good to me and pretty much has convinced me to purchase on, Jeff

Nikon 70-200VR F2.8 lens with the Nikon 20E TC III on it HERE.

Ordered the Nikon TC

I ordered the Nikon 20E III 2x tele converter today. As soon as I get it in I will try it out and post some pictures and tell you what my opinion of it is, Jeff

Thread Information